Oversee daily operation of department functions and works closely with senior merchandising team to achieve the goals of the category business plans. Develop and maintain a training program for Center Store merchandising, as well as oversee the training program for Department Specialists and Analysts within Center Store. Oversee Merchandiser I (s) as they learn the promotion piece of your categories, eventually preparing them for categories of their own, utilizing the 5 Ps (pricing, promotion, product, procurement and placement). Develop annual promotional plans by category assigned, evaluating items and negotiating deals with vendors; develop, negotiate, and execute regional tactical plans for Category Management programs (5 Ps) for the categories assigned.Job Responsibilities
- Responsible for proofing and ensuring accuracy of promotional activity and communication within assigned category
- Manage vendor relationships in assigned categories
- Provide competitive merchandising solutions for retail formats by researching market conditions to determine potential sales of product or service and retail trends
- Execute regional advertising plans of assigned categories
- Resolve all internal and external customer requests and concerns while maintaining a high level of professionalism and service
- Grow sales by creating weekly ad and supporting existing merchandising programs
- Create sales opportunities through category management and market principles with relation to SKU rationalization, merchandising, and niche market applications
- Participate in the Supervision, training, and development of Category Management team
- Coordinate with procurement team to help maintain required shrink and spoilage commitments with consideration of lowest cost of goods
- Review weekly ad forecasts and provide direction to the buyers to determine what inventory levels are needed to meet ad requirements
- Conduct post-promotional review and analysis to determine if promotional requirements were met and if there were problem areas, provide information to vendor
- Review period data to assess sales, service levels and category profitability, make adjustments as needed
- Support and implement region and department initiatives as determined by senior merchandisers and director
- Manage category assortment
- Support private brand initiatives
- Manage sales within critical categories to SVNR financial success
- Design and implement plan-o-gram strategize to maximize sales
- Research, report and document P&L data to senior merchandiser
- Supervise, train, and develop Center Store staff
- Create development plans for key performers within Department Specialist and Analyst staff
- Create & Maintain training curriculum for Center Store merchants
- Manage assigned Merchandiser I through the promotional aspects of category merchandising
- Coordinate region led promotional activity for one of the region ad groups ( Sales Team Merchandisers)
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- 5 years minimum industry experience
- Proven negotiation skills
- UNFI Buying Systems acumen
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Aptitude for and interest in financial reporting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Proven success in a results driven environment
- Most work is performed in a temperature controlled office environment. During part of the workday the incumbent will be moving about the Distribution Center warehouse floor and potential hazards exist in regard to machinery such as forklifts, pallet jacks, mechanized systems, movement of tractors and trailers, etc.
- Temperatures in the warehouse may vary between -20 to 70 degrees.
- Noise levels in all areas are within acceptable tolerance ranges for those specific work areas.
- Incumbent may sit for long periods of time at a desk or computer terminal.
- Position responsibilities requires some travel (up to 5%) during the work week and occasional weekend travel
- Incumbent will use calculators, keyboards, telephone, and other office equipment in the course of the workday.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status. UNFI is an EO employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.