About The Position
Come live your best with the best team! This role will manage packaging documentation, oversee package testing, create SOP processes, evaluate prices and maintain professional networks with vendors, suppliers and Co-Packers.
Zevia is the leading zero calorie, naturally sweetened beverage brand. We were the first to create Sodas sweetened with stevia, a plant-based sweetener. We have since introduced Energy, Mixers and Organic Tea platforms to our beverage portfolio, and all of the Zevia beverage platforms are growing at a rapid pace. Our office is a fun, entrepreneurial environment, full of fiercely passionate and talented people determined to work together, have fun and make consumer packaged goods history. Our Team Members are collaborative and supportive, with an insatiable hunger to change the beverage game.
The Beverage Packaging Engineer will report to the Sr. Packaging Manager under the Technical Services Department. This person will be responsible for managing packaging documentation, along with overseeing package testing, creating SOP processes, assist in evaluating prices and meeting with vendors, suppliers and Co-Packers. This role requires excellent organizational skills, time management capability, and the ability to multi-task. The Packaging Engineer will manage relationships with internal teams, as well external stakeholders.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage packaging portals related to products.
- Research current and foreseeable new changes in the packaging industry.
- Organize and maintain supplier documentation with the utmost efficiency.
- Maintain accurate and organized records of quality activities.
- Review artwork and packaging proofs for product development team to ensure specs are met.
- Perform testing and reporting of internal package analysis, as well as reviewing any documentation from external sources.
- Develop and implement improvement strategies for quality and pricing.
- Communicate with suppliers to ensure product and regulatory specs are in compliance
- Project management for packaging function and responsibilities.
- Manages responsibilities with all customers, internal and external.
- Lead Zevia’s Sustainability measurement and reporting.
- Present project status and results as needed across affected disciplines.
- Identifies recommends and implement new packaging initiatives.
- Work with suppliers and customers on packaging initiatives, needs and policies.
- Has 1-3 years of work experience in a role in the beverage or food industry, or an industry with packaging responsibilities
- Experience with highly detailed information management as a priority function.
- Proficient in presenting, analyzing and reporting information.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Thrives in a busy environment, can self-prioritize and work independently when applicable.
- Has a passion for natural products.
- Is a great listener, team player and an overall, positive “yes we can!” person.
- Would be described as creative, looking for ways to improve and create efficiencies.
- Hands on experience with Operations or Mechanical processes, a plus!
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor degree preferred in applicable field (i.e. Industrial Engineering).
- Engineering/Quality/Production experience is critical. Production experience can include supervising a production line, acting as a maintenance person on a manufacturing line. Familiarity with the production process and/or quality control experience in a packaging company as an employee or intern.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in similar role.
- Physically capable of lifting up to 50lbs.
- Proficient in Microsoft office: PowerPoint, Word, Excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills – will need to collaborate up, down and across the organization to achieve results.
- Calm under pressure.
- Ensures quality of output.
- Good deductive reasoning.
- Excellent writing skills.
This position may have direct supervisory responsibilities and will serve as a coach and mentor to others.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
This position requires up to 10% travel.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Must be Eligible to Work in the U.S.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified job candidates and employees. To that end, Zevia maintains a workplace free of discrimination and harassment on the basis of an individual’s race (including traits historically associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles such as braids, locks, and twists), color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), gender (including gender identity, gender expression, change of sex, and transgender status), sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy (including childbirth and breastfeeding), medical condition, national origin, ancestry, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), civil union status, familial status, military or veteran status, genetic information, caregiver status, citizenship status, immigration status, Civil Air Patrol status, status as a victim of domestic violence, assault, or stalking, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law (each, a “Protected Characteristic”).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.