About The Position
We are looking for an enthusiastic, energetic and outgoing Area Sales Manager (“ASM”) to manage and grow our Retail Grocery channel sales in the New York Metro area.
Who we are
Wandering Bear (wanderingbearcoffee.com
) offers extra strong, surprisingly smooth, conveniently and sustainably packaged organic coffee that’s always fresh and easy to enjoy – however you take your caffeine. Our products are built for customization of the at-home coffee occasion, and we are a leader in multi-serve cold brew. Recent innovations include extra strong k-cups (the strongest on the market) and ground coffee products.
We’re a high-growth, private-equity funded company. We have been in operation since 2014 and over that time have scaled the business from a small brewhouse in Queens, NY to a nationally distributed brand sold in all 50 states. Over the past year our sales mix has shifted aggressively towards e-Commerce. Our direct website, Amazon store and wholesale eCommerce customers now account for 80% of sales and have grown 400% this year. Additionally, our products are available across the country in stores such as Whole Foods and Kroger.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for an enthusiastic, energetic and outgoing Area Sales Manager (“ASM”) to manage and grow our Retail Grocery channel sales in the New York Metro area. This role is responsible for working closely with our distribution partner in the region, to both open new accounts and manage & grow existing store accounts. This job is done in the store - developing relationships with store personnel, securing orders, providing merchandising support, executing promotions - so our ASM should expect to be in the field at least 4 days per week. This role reports directly to our President and Co-Founder.
The ideal candidate for this role has past experience selling food & beverage products into retail grocery accounts in the NY Metro area, and has experience working with a DSD distributor to serve those accounts. This candidate has experience working with and analyzing sales reports (from distributors, retailers, etc.) and is very comfortable in Microsoft Excel (and other Microsoft Office applications) as well as Google Drive. This candidate must have a car, and a good familiarity with the New York Metro area.
Our ASM will not be expected to report into an office, so when not visiting stores this role can be done from anywhere. The rest of the team is fully remote, so being proactive, accountable, and being a great (over)communicator should be second nature.
- Improve sales performance at all accounts through exceptional merchandising, secondary placements, strong promo planning and execution
- Open new store accounts in the territory
- Sell in new products to existing customers where there’s opportunity
- Build and maintain strong relationships and regular communication cadence with key stakeholders (store managers, distributor reps, etc.)
- Develop understanding of what makes each account tick, what it takes to keep things working there; provide that support and continually look for ways to grow the account
- Establish rapport with distributor partner (reps and management), learn how to motivate them, how to support them, how to hold them accountable
- Gather, organize and analyze data to measure and report on sales performance in the territory across a range of key performance indicators
- Track promotional activities to understand efficacy of different marketing/promo tactics and evaluate ROI
Who you are
- 2+ years of experience food & beverage sales in New York Metro area
- 2+ years of experience working closely with / for DSD distributor
- Strong interpersonal skills—you are able to connect with others to understand their specific needs; ideal candidate is a true extrovert who loves meeting and talking to new people
- Must have a car that you’re comfortable using everyday (car allowance provided)
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Willing to start days early (store buyers often most accessible in early AM)
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Generally tech savvy
- Great people who bring themselves to work, work hard and have fun
- Competitive Base Salary + Bonus
- Company Health, Dental, Vision and 401k plan
- Monthly Car Allowance
- Great product that you’ll be proud to sell
- As much extra strong coffee as you can drink
At Wandering Bear, we pride ourselves on our unique brand of strength. It’s a grounded, self-assured strength that allows us to celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table. We believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. These are our guiding principles and apply across all aspects of employment.