Responsible for continuously identifying and determining optimum sources of produce supply. Manage DC service levels, make purchasing decisions and manage process for order fulfillment. JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Procure and plan for highest quality of fresh produce commodities considering price and market conditions.
- Build, maintain and grow positive relationships with all Pro Organics vendors (grower/shippers and brokers).
- Work with the sales dept to build weekly Ad planners.
- Work with suppliers to educate them on Pro Organics' supplier performance expectations. Hold suppliers accountable for meeting or exceeding expectations.
- Participate in supplier business reviews.
- Responsible for the development of supplier participations in the Produce Promotions Program.
- Actively work with suppliers to minimize seasonal gaps.
- Gather market information and distribute to buyers, sales managers and receivers throughout the company.
- Monitor business trends, including suppliers' prices, quality, delivery and service performance; make recommendations for process improvement.
- Accumulate, analyze, prepare and present necessary reports concerning cost trends, price changes and inventory levels.
- Communicate favorable purchasing opportunities to maximize sales & gross profit dollars and minimize cost of goods sold.
- Support established logistical procedures to facilitate efficient product arrival.
- Seek opportunity spots buys and communicate them with the Sales team.
- Maintain purchasing system to ensure data integrity and accuracy
- Ensure awareness of Pro Organics' marketing strategies and competitive advantages.
- Manage arrival issues on specific commodities and achieve resolution between receivers and shippers.
- Assist in training and mentoring new team members.
- Responsible for following policy and procedures outlined in the Pro Organics' / UNFI recall plan.
- Perform all duties and responsibilities in a highly ethical manner and in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned by management.
- Performs other job duties as required.
- BA/BS degree in related discipline or equivalent training & experience.
Skills & Abilities:
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, replenishment and forecasting with perishable products, preferably produce.
- Experience in organic produce highly desired.
- Must have comprehensive knowledge of fresh produce products, including seasonality and geography of fresh produce supply.
- Proven negotiating and problem-solving skills while maintaining high integrity and business ethics.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills with ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and under pressure.
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines while accomplishing team objectives.
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical and problem-solving skills; must demonstrate accuracy with figures.
- Able to resolve issues appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment.
- Able to develop and maintain effective, positive internal/external working relationships with a diverse group of individuals; a team player.
- Able to provide training and guidance to junior members of the buyer team.
- Exceptional computer skills, including MS Excel Including data sorting and analysis - pivot tables), Word, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook; competent to learn and adapt to new computer applications, system upgrades and other technology as necessary.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills; able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work closely with management to resolve problems and issues.