Job Location: Hershey, PA
This role is an opportunity to join the leadership team creating the future as we build and start-up Hershey's newest, state-of-the-art fulfillment center in Annville, PA. The facility will play a critical role in the company's strategic growth objectives delivering step-change commercial value, leveraging advanced technology and expanding agility for customer growth. You'll work directly with key leaders from Hershey and our 3PL partners to create the culture and foundational operating procedures that will ensure safety, quality and efficiency in our new hybrid operating model. Come prepared to hire and develop a robust and highly skilled technical team.
If you're passionate about creating the future, we would like to talk to you! Job Summary:
The Sr. Manager, Technical Assurance is a key member of the Annville Fulfillment Center (AFC) leadership team who drives the vision, strategy, and execution of all technical functions at the site. This role requires a strong vision for the department that promotes Hershey's best practices while incorporating new technologies and new ways of working for the purpose of realizing efficiency, agility, and driving growth. Success in this role requires strong partnerships with internal and external stakeholders, including the site leadership team, the 3PL (Third Party Operator) leadership team, and corporate functions.
This position is responsible for leading the engineering, utilities, and technical functions required to support the AFC's operations. Duties include management of the following:
- Personnel providing expertise in all fields of engineering including mechanical, electrical power and controls, process, environmental, industrial, and civil.
- 3PL Technical Assurance resources supporting facility, utilities, material handling equipment and grounds maintenance.
- Contractors, including those providing technical, installation, and repair services.
- Individuals responsible for development and maintenance of technical documentation, procedures and standards, and environmental compliance.
- Direction of others providing manufacturing support in addition to personally participating in process engineering support to plant operations.
- PLANT TECHNICAL SUPPORT - Provides technical leadership and support to plant operations by troubleshooting and/or providing technical training on equipment, processes, and facilities. Brainstorms, designs, justifies and implements improvements to processes or equipment to improve quality, safety, or efficiencies. Maintain plant process, equipment, and layout drawings.
- CAPITAL/EXPENSE PROJECT MANAGEMENT - Provide coordination, liaison and control of contractors, vendors, Corporate technical personnel, and consultants performing work or services. Personally manage capital and expense projects when appropriate to meet commitments of scope, timeliness and deliverables. Work collaboratively with other corporate departments (i.e. Marketing, Sales, Finance) to define scope, timing and costs and allocate resources required for the project.
- CAPITAL BUDGET SUPPORT/ADMINISTRATION - Development, management and implementation of the plant's capital budget. Review plant's facilities, process and packaging systems for capital project development necessary for repair and modernization. Responsible for project feasibility studies, justifications and acquiring bid/quotations to support capital expenditure requirements. Responsible for complete project management from design through project closing. Coordinate all project activities with plant personnel, ensure plant GMP's and serve as a liaison for Corporate/Division projects as required. Ensure that all stated project milestones, goals and budget requirements are achieved. Prepare spare parts lists, manuals and training as required.
- ADMINISTRATIVE - Perform administrative functions of the Technical Assurance Department including administrative budgets, salary planning, performance management, training and development of personnel, and personnel administration.
- ENVIRONMENTAL/REGULATORY - Lead and support plant environmental and regulatory compliance efforts, delegating testing, tracking, and reporting as necessary. Oversee the 3PL's overall plant compliance with Federal, State, and Local regulations. Partner with the 3PL in plant equipment and facility inspections conducted by outside regulatory agencies such as DEP, Labor & Industry and OSHA. Responsible for environmental, regulatory and safe design / installation of all plant equipment and facilities. Participate in QDR's to ensure environmental and regulatory compliance on new projects.
- MAINTENANCE - Oversees the Maintenance Manager and provides guidance on the management of plant maintenance labor and materials. Prepare, implement and maintain budgets and budgetary controls. Lead the departmental goal setting process. Direct, coach and train plant maintenance supervisors while developing a world class team that supports and enhances efficient plant operations. Create an environment that encourages teamwork, employee participation, and continuous improvement. Coordinate communication activities within and between the maintenance department and all other plant functions in such a manner as to meet the needs and objectives of operations, maintenance, and other support groups. Direct maintenance and repair of all plant facilities and equipment associated with the Maintenance Dept. to ensure compliance with established standards for sanitation, GMP's, housekeeping, safety programs and QTE. Ensure proper implementation and administration of departmental procedures including, but not limited to: training, job skill development, interpersonal development, and planning as well as maintain positive relations with hourly maintenance employees.
- 3PL Account Management / Facilities / Utilities Oversight
- In partnership with the Fulfillment Center Leader, serve as a primary Hershey contact for the third party operator (3PL) of the AFC. Maintain a positive and productive relationship with transparent and proactive communication. Empower the 3PL to function as a strategic partner that contributes to the strategic vision for the AFC and drives innovation / continuous improvement initiatives.
- Establish a governance process to regularly measure performance against KPIs and escalate issues for prompt resolution.
- Oversee the relationship with the 3PL to ensure consistent, cost efficient, and reliable utilities services are provided on a 3 shift, 7 day basis while complying with federal, state and local regulatory and safety requirements. Perform administrative and capital budgeting and budget control with respect to capital projects. Ensure the 3PL maintains the facility and grounds in a manner that reflects positively on Hershey and the local community.
- Ensure cultural alignment between Hershey and the 3PL.
- B.S. in Engineering or Food Technology or related field.
- Minimum 10 years experience in manufacturing, operation or engineering (preferably in food processing engineering).
- Two or more years of both supervisory/managerial and project management experience.
- Knowledge of Hershey's policies, procedures, and GMP's.
- Proven manufacturing engineering and maintenance expertise.
- Problem solving abilities.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Technical writing skills.
- Proven leadership abilities, including demonstration of Hershey Core Values.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-lingual environment.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans