Job Location: Stuarts Draft, VA Summary:
The Hershey Company Stuarts Draft plant is a Non-Union plant producing products such as Reese's Pieces, Reese Cups, Reese Shapes, Reese Bars, Mr. Goodbar, Mounds, Almond Joy, NutRageous, Oh Henry, FastBreak, Whatchamacallit, Baking Chips, etc. in a high-speed complex environment.
The Plant Project/Packaging Systems (Equipment) Engineer within the Stuarts Draft, VA production facility is a key position within the site's Engineering team. This role is responsible for ensuring that the plant's processing systems are fully operational and reliable as required to support the conversion of raw materials to finished, unpackaged product while adhering to schedule, rate of production, and all quality specifications. This role will also be involved in investigating, proposing, and implementing improvements in packaging equipment to reduce
waste, changeover time and improve overall equipment reliability, availability, and flexibility.
The project/packaging engineer verifies the capability of existing equipment to run new products and/or packaging, makes recommendations as well as implements the changes required to accommodate new products and packaging. This role will lead and manage capital projects in the areas of processing and packaging equipment. It is a unique position in that it will support both the processing engineering and packaging (equipment) engineering needs for the plant site. Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Appropriate combination of knowledge and experience in design of process and/or packaging systems for the food (or related) industry including:
- A combination of knowledge and experience in the design, specification, application, installation, startup and training of process and facility related capital projects. Knowledge and experience should include PFD and P&ID development, GMP's, unit operations such as batching, heat exchange, mass balances, ingredient and product transfer and conveying, CIP, temperature and pressure control and utilities.
- Understanding and experience with primary packaging (high-speed flow wrapping), secondary packaging (such as cartoning, VFFS (bagging), scales, etc.) and tertiary packaging (case packaging and palletizing) would be a plus, as well as an understanding of common packaging materials used in the food packaging industry.
- The successful incumbent must possess:
- Demonstrated experience with machine and equipment design.
- Experience and proficiency in the food, pharmaceutical or consumer products industries that is relative to Hershey manufacturing processes, construction practices, standards, and codes.
- The ability to prioritize, develop an understanding of the required business objectives, develop solutions, control schemes and schedules, and to execute projects efficiently and expediently.
- Appropriate negotiating skills to process projects and other job-related duties from inception to completion including vendor negotiation, OEM relationships and contractual agreements
- Hands-on problem-solving skills, focusing on detailed problem resolution and documentation.
- The ability to understand and apply sound engineering solutions keeping in mind costs, schedules, and operational performance.
- Ability to complete sound technical analyses, develop alternatives (cost estimates, feasibility, specifications, and interpretation of requirements) and prepare recommendations.
- Influencing skills and personal integrity to drive best solution for the manufacturing facility.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong PC skills, including AutoCAD proficiency
- Ability and willingness to work in a team environment as well as with limited supervision.
- Provide the appropriate level of mentoring and training to team members as well as our manufacturing customer base.
- The position will require domestic and international travel, at times, to support assigned capital projects
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Mechanical/Electrical/Mechatronics/Packaging), Engineering Technology, or related field is required
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of process and/or packaging engineering experience is required
- Familiarity and understanding of hygienic design
- Experience utilizing SAP
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP's)
- Practical knowledge and relevant experience in the area of Control Systems (Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC's), electrical and electronic industrial instrumentation, automation and process control, servo/motor control, etc.)
- German language skills
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans