About The Position
Who We Are: Family owned since 1874 in DownEast Maine, Wild Blueberries are in our blood, and fruit is on our mind. Always. We see firsthand every day the beauty of Mother Nature at work, and it inspires us to preserve what she creates and provide it to the world. That’s why at Wyman’s our mission is simple: We want to help the world eat more fruit. To do that, we impeccably maintain our barrens of antioxidant-rich Wild Blueberries and partner with like-minded farmers and suppliers from all over the world, allowing us to pair our harvests with the most flavorful and nutritious fruits on the planet. We believe it’s this approach that makes Wyman’s Wildly Better®.
What is Expected: Aligning with our mission, Wyman’s is seeking a Quality Specialist-Supplier & External Manufacturing, to work with our Food Safety & Quality Team in our Portland, Maine office. The Quality Specialist –S&EM, is the primary quality interface between Wyman’s and all external business partners including suppliers, co-packers, co-manufacturers, and external warehousing. The role is primarily responsible for ensuring Wyman’s Food Safety and Quality expectations and standards are met while leading improvement initiatives that benefit both parties. Key responsibilities include review and approval of new suppliers, ongoing maintenance of existing external operations, and continual FSQ improvement initiatives. This position is an integral part of the Wyman’s External Manufacturing & Innovation Team.
· Monitor supplier/co-man’s Food Safety and Quality Management Systems; HACCP, FSMA, SQF, etc.
· Conduct audits to verify FSQ effectiveness of both potential and ongoing suppliers/co-manufacturers, including SQF Quality Code
· Own annual documentation review of all suppliers and co-manufacturers
· Actively monitor and report on supplier quality metrics (KPI’s)
· Participate in supplier and co-manufacturer Food Safety Improvement Initiatives, Action Logs, RCAs, etc.
· Report quality non-conformities and weigh disposition decisions on product
· Communicate Consumer Complaints to respective supplier/co-manufacturing partners
· Review Production and QA reports
· Support implementation of new products at co-manufacturer level with regards to quality
· Domestic travel to supplier/co-manufacturing sites
· Innovative, curious, and driven to achieve better outcomes
· Possess a positive, proactive, solution oriented mindset
· Highly organized, effective communicator, team oriented
· Demonstrated technical writing ability
· Working knowledge of Food Safety and Quality Management Systems
· Competency with univariate and multivariate statistical analyses
· Familiarity with fruit production a plus
· BS in Food Science or related Science/Engineering field
· 2-4 years Food Safety, Quality, Engineering, Supply Chain, or Operations experience
· Working knowledge of FDA and USDA food regulations. CFIA is a plus
· Extensive knowledge of core Food Safety and Quality programs (HACCP, FSMA, GMP, FSVP)
· Familiarity with auditing and inspection procedures
· Experience in Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Actions
· Experience and knowledge of GFSI schemes, SQF preferred
· Experience with external manufacturing (co-packers & co-manufacturers)
· Ability to read, comprehend, and communicate technical data with partners
· Experience utilizing Six Sigma and/or Lean Manufacturing tools and techniques
· PCQI certified
· GFSI Auditing certified is a plus
· Experience with working remotely
· Ability to travel up to 40%
Benefits & Compensation
The Quality Specialist-Supplier & External Manufacturing position is a full-time salaried position. Company sponsored benefits include: Medical, Dental, company paid Life Insurance, AD&D, STD, LTD, and 401K Savings Plan including Profit Sharing. Many additional benefits to be discussed in new hire orientation. Wyman’s also values the continued education opportunities for many of our positions and offer a generous in-house tuition reimbursement program. Our staff is well versed in the State of Maine’s tuition assistant programs that reimburse your student loan payments via the Opportunity Maine Tax Credit program providing student loan tax credit assistance to people who Live and Work in Maine in a STEM- (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) designated occupation at a Maine-based employer like Wyman’s. The Quality Specialist-Supplier & External Manufacturing position salary starts at $68,000 per year with additional considerations made for advanced degrees, qualifications and experience.