Vital Proteins is an emerging, dynamic brand consisting of a team of passionate individuals who believe whole food based nutrition is essential for overall health, fitness and wellbeing. Our team is comprised of intelligent and innovative talent who work collaboratively to ensure creativity, success, and global growth. At Vital Proteins, our mission is to empower our company, team, and customers to live a full, vibrant life. We seek to develop and support the right people, with the right chemistry, who continually ask questions, and in turn, will develop and tactically execute good ideas. We are looking for individuals to help us think smarter and put a lot of ideas on the table in a short amount of time. Building a great company is our goal. Quality individuals and getting the team right is our business plan. Role:
The Packaging Engineer will drive the development, commercialization of packaging, material systems within innovation, and renovation frameworks. The Packaging Engineer will be responsible for delivering inspirational structural solutions for innovation projects, driving continuous improvement to optimize filling, packaging line performance, packaging quality. In addition, the Packaging Engineer will leverage existing relationships with packaging companies to understand current and future capabilities with a keen awareness of sustainable packaging and work closely with co-manufacturers to successfully commercialize. Reporting to the Director of Innovation, this role will operate out of Vital Proteins Corporate Headquarters in Chicago, IL, with weekly visits to Vital Proteins Production Warehouse in Franklin Park, IL, and co-manufacturers as needed (up to 30% travel). What you will be responsible for:
Who you are:
- Drives creative structural packaging development, as part of Innovation and Renovation projects and processes to support the Vital Proteins brand and sub-brands.
- Leverages technical experience, R&D, and external industry insights to develop, implement, and execute creative packaging development activities (e.g. bench top, pilot plant, and internal/external operations) to achieve project goals and deadlines to delight the consumer.
- Drives technical matter with packaging suppliers. Participates in the selection of packaging material and equipment suppliers. Responsible for maintaining vendor and industry relationships to keep abreast of current trends and to ascertain future trends.
- Develop, coordinate, and execute line trials and full-scale production at plants and co-packers to confirm that quality attributes and performance metrics are achieved.
- Developer and guardian of system standards, ensure compliance to specified requirements for packaging materials and finished, finished pack quality, and standard packaging line parameters.
- The Packaging Engineer works closely with Marketing, R&D, Operations, Finance, Quality Assurance, Regulatory, Supply Chain, and Design to adequately understand and meet internal customer needs and requirements.
Vital Proteins is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer
- BS Packaging Science Degree or related technical discipline
- 4-7 years experience preferred in packaging or related field of work
- Interpersonal communication skills, written and verbal communication, organizational skills, project management skills must all be strong
- Must be capable of working in a fast-paced, team environment with minimal direct supervision and the ability to adhere to aggressive deadlines
- Ability to manage across multiple projects
- Experience in consumer product goods
- Knowledge of packaging sustainability, and trends within the industry
- Strong data analysis skills to drive understanding and insights in packaging qualifications
- Other duties as needed
- Must be able to read, write, and understand English