About The Position
Job Description – Packaging Operations Manager
The Virginia Distillery Co., an American Single Malt Whisky distillery located in Lovingston, VA, is seeking a Packaging Operations Manager. This position is a member of our Operations Team and is responsible for all packaging functions on our bottling line.
It is a very exciting time to join our fast-paced team where you will have the opportunity to wear many hats, work within a passionate close-knit group, and support our rapid national expansion. We work hard to bring our category-defining American Single Malt Whisky to market. Our operations started in November of 2015, and 2020 marked the year we launched our flagship whisky brand, Courage & Conviction. We are data driven. We think big. We stay positive. And we have fun (there’s really good whisky).
- Scaling packaging operations to keep up with market demand for all SKU’s
- Planning, assigning, training and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding, coaching, and motivating employees; resolving conflict, and solving problems.
- Foster a culture of Continuous Improvement to identify and implement opportunities for improvement. Elevate new ideas (both your own and those of the team) and execute plans to positively impact the packaging operations and goals.
- Embrace change and operations transformation for achieving finished goods supply readiness and supporting rapid sales growth.
- Ensure compliance with established standards of food quality & safety and employee safety.
- Coordinate staffing assignments on a daily basis in coherence with budgeted staffing
- Input compliance and operations data into Whiskey Systems and fill out daily production records and metrics tracking sheets.
- Maintain exceedingly high standards of cleanliness and organization, enforcing visual management principles (5S).
- Collaborate with the Supply Chain Solutions Manager to support bottling schedule changes.
- Willingness to cross-train in the other functional areas such as Distilling and Caskhouse operations.
- Operate material handling equipment including a forklift as required.
- Regular and predictable attendance at the work site, this role requires regular presence at the distillery production facilities. Some nights and weekends may be required.
- This role requires lifting up to 50 lbs.
Qualifications & Desired Experience
- Self-motivated and operates with a great sense of urgency and ability to drive progress towards company goals.
- Excellent people and leadership skills
- Strong change management skills, driving and implementing change to optimize the business focusing on safety, quality and efficiency
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Ability to work with and relate to all levels of personnel
- Ability to read/interpret production performance reports
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in manufacturing or in a high-speed, complex environment required, including machine operations, machine changeovers, start-up, shut-down, package quality, OSHA standards and 5S.
- Mechanical aptitude and ability to troubleshoot processing and packaging equipment such as motors, pumps, fillers, labelling machines, and conveying systems.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite required
- Minimum of 2 years in a supervisory capacity preferred
- Food manufacturing or beverage alcohol production experience preferred
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Tax & Trade Bureau (TTB) compliance preferred.
This is a salaried full-time position with benefits and is eligible for participation in our bonus and Employee Equity Program. The role will be serving our production operations in Lovingston, VA. Being on-site full time in Lovingston, VA is required for this role.