This is an Operations position responsible for directing and supervising daily activities associated with Transportation and on-time customer service. Responsibilities include but are not limited to, customer service, route monitoring, safety/compliance, providing direction to Transportation supervisory staff, and interaction with and providing direction to drivers. JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Education/Certification:
- Supervise the daily work activities and safety of transportation associates, including adherence to standard delivery operating procedures, adherence to daily route plans, and providing best in class customer service.
- Analyze real-time and historical data (through Peoplenet and other systems) to maintain accurate route plans, improving transportation efficiency and customer service
- Supervises the proper utilization of company assets (including software, systems, labor, and equipment) in support of the transportation department. Documents and coordinates required repairs with Maintenance.
- Reviews Transportation productivity reporting and suggests efficiency ideas, cost reduction measures and assists with the implementation of strategic delivery changes. Makes recommendations for disciplinary action and/or behavior modification where required based on consistent review of performance data metrics.
- Interprets, trains and applies company policies and procedures - including food safety, Hours of Service, record keeping, performance expectations and safe work methods, etc.
- Manage labor hours and direct labor activities to stay within planned budget, recommend optimal work schedules, provide input on stop and route changes, provide input on customer service times, customer open/close times, window expectations and provides to appropriate person for necessary changes.
- Communication with sales management through email and maintains status update board to collaboratively resolve any customer or delivery opportunities/issues.
- Communicates proactively with drivers and directs activities to ensure adherence to route plan and on-time delivery targets, and overtime objectives.
- Coordinates with Transportation Road Supervisors and with Safety team to ensure consistent training, driver observations, and conduct ride-along observations with drivers.
- Maintains preferred transportation work method documentation and makes improvement recommendations based on collaborative driver feedback
- Conducts timely accident investigations and reviews to determine root causes.
- Ability to keyboard proficiently - utilizing canned reporting and creation of specific ad-hoc reports to identify areas for improvements.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Two or four-year college degree in Business Management, Supply Chain Management or similar major preferred.
- Minimum four years' experience in multiple stop dispatch operation.
- Knowledge of Department of Transportation Regulations.
- Microsoft Applications including: Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT/ DEMANDS:
- Ability to successfully engage and lead individual and team discussions and meetings.
- Capable of working with peers and associates from other departments, Distribution Centers and Corporate in a proactive and constructive manner.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Working knowledge of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Ability to apply all relevant policies in a consistent, timely and objective manner.
- Ability to work in a disciplined manner and capable of following established procedures, practices and comply with local, state and federal regulations.
- Ability to manage the pressures and stress associated with a deadline-oriented atmosphere and customer service issues.
- Demonstrates skill in making independent decisions in support of company policies and procedures in a timely manner.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Must have excellent computer skills - Demonstrate knowledge of Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software, and ability to learn other UNFI operations technology software and programs. Ability to read, comprehend, write and speak English.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Some travel may be required.
- Most work is performed in a temperature-controlled office environment.
- Incumbent may sit for long periods of time at desk or computer terminal.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Incumbent may use calculators, keyboards, telephone and other office equipment in the course of normal workday.
- Stooping, bending, twisting and reaching may be required in completion of job duties
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. UNFI is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive and respectful environment for all. - M/F/Veteran/Disability. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.