The Sr Category Merch Analyst will use financial targets and competitive data to provide business insights and recommendations to improve sales, operations and profitability for markets and categories. Communicates analysis using comprehensive, easy to digest methods that will translate into impactful and actionable reports for category leadership.
The Sr Category Merch Analyst will create opportunities to grow sales and enhance operational information by maintaining pricing strategy by vendor and market and supplying analysis and information to generate opportunities. In addition, the analyst will leverage key research tools and other external data sources, to quantify U.S. product trends and help build go to market strategies alongside the merchandising and sales teams. This role will conduct financial and pricing analysis, forecasting, budgeting and work on special projects Job Responsibilities:
- Provides business, customer insights and competitor intelligence to support the development of category strategies, forecasts and performance reporting
- Identifies and validates opportunities within a given category, market or division using category roles, competitive pricing, frequency reports, elasticity reports, market data and many other sources
- Provides analytical and quantitative secondary research support to the business by accessing, verifying and organizing market trend, competitive intelligence and sales data using a variety of sources such as Data Warehouse, Nielsen and IRI syndicated data
- Plans and executes data mining, trend analysis, and ad hoc data analysis activities, which will include a strong focus on operations and sales studies to identify alternatives of doing business to improve business practices, efficiencies, and profitability.
- Collaborates with merchandising team to develop and implement base pricing strategies, rules, and parameters.
- Interpret trends and spot opportunities to improve sales and profitability.
- Conducts special merchandising and business-related research and cooperates with other departments in the preparation of analysis
- Monitors and tracks vendor decisions, compliance, and performance. Works with vendors to identify category opportunities and track performance against category business plans and store execution opportunities
- Reviews and analyzes processes and contributes to making them efficient to reduce costs
- Compiles, develops and prepares reports, graphs and charts of findings
- Maintains pricing/sales system information to ensure that performance reporting contains accurate information
- Develops tools to provide forecasts and projections for sales and margin management and utilizes the tools to identify opportunities to improve margin and track margin performance to annual operating plan targets
- Updates and reviews all key promotional pricing metrics and prepares recommendations for action as needed
- Provides data, support, reporting and analysis for trimester planning
- Tracks results at end of each promotion in terms of sales, profit and share growth or contribution
- Maintains weekly, quarterly and yearly scorecards to track sales, gross profit dollars and share of each category
- Coordinates promotional plans (ads and displays), and merchandising messages within department as assigned by management
- Maintains regular scorecards to track sales, gross profit dollars, expense reduction or other projected benefits of implemented improvement initiatives
- As an ongoing effort, will work with management and IS on automating performance metrics, audit reports, and pricing programs that currently are managed and maintained manually.
- Performs other relevant job duties as required.
Education/ Certifications: (Required & Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, Finance, Accounting or related field
- 5+ years of analytical experience in category management, retail or wholesale industry or financial analysis experience required
- 8+ years of business experience (with at least 5 years of analytical experience)
- SQL, VBA, Alteryx knowledge
- Knowledge of Nielsen and IRI data sources and their application
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint)
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and provide guidance to other analysts
- Excellent financial research and analysis skills gained from academic background or equivalent work experience
- Completes highly complex analysis identifying trends, patterns, issues, and opportunities
- Ability to work across vast amounts of data from different data sources
- Strong quantitative skills, with the ability to compile and analyze data
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong math and analytical skills
- Must be systems-oriented, enjoy work with new tools, and be a self-motivated and detail-oriented learner
- Ability to present results of analysis, data models, and other projects to management in a concise and professional manner
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. UNFI is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive and respectful environment for all. - M/F/Veteran/Disability. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
- Additional Locations: United States of America, New Hampshire, Chesterfield; United States of America, Minnesota, Hopkins; United States of America, Rhode Island, Providence
- Schedule: Full-time