Oversees UNFI's workforce of employees, vendors, brokers, retailers and third-party merchandisers to complete retail merchandising projects as scheduled. Projects consist of Periodic Home Store Program, Full Store Resets, Major Remodels, Ad hoc Projects and New Store Merchandising. Takes appropriate action needed to ensure staffing level is adequate for quantity of work. Works closely with store manager or designated person at projects and oversees the day to day operations to ensure the least amount of interruption to their business and customers. Makes available to merchandising team equipment/supplies needed to complete project. Verifies all personnel scheduled for project have signed in for work. Coordinates region shelf management program by overseeing the retail execution of core and customer planograms and store level reports to directly contribute to the sales, growth and profitability of UNFI retailers. Acts as a consult selling agent to the retailers in the areas of shelf management, store-in-store services, merchandising and store mapping/layout.Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Oversees merchandising projects, including new stores, remodels, resets, home store and ad hoc. Maximize productivity and efficiency of all merchandising resources.
- Visits retailers to draw up existing/new stores to begin the process of putting together a project plan using management skills, technical solutions (store mapping) and merchandising experience. Consults with retailers and coordinates data collection efforts with Retail/Regional/Corporate personnel and vendors/brokers. Data will include product information, sales data, pricing data, discontinued/new items, etc. Coordinate the dissemination of information to these individuals for analysis and problem solving.
- Puts together orders for in house equipment (tag stock, plastics, pegs, overlays, extenders); racks from suppliers to ensure all are available at start of project.
- Coordinates the retailer presentation of equipment and in-store design/décor options from Store Design Services. Coordinates and implements store-in-store solutions for retailers working with the Store Services - Merchandising Services Team. Instructs vendor/broker representatives and/or assigned outside merchandising staff in the use and implementation of core and custom planograms.
- Utilizes UNFI shelf management principles to integrate the regional merchandising philosophy at retail. Stays in-tune with latest UNFI Category Strategic Plans, Store Layouts, Competitive Insights and Consumer Insights/Trends. Issues instruction/information on new items, replacement items and discontinued items to retail execution team.
- Ensures accurate and timely implementation of core and custom planograms at retail by coordinating efforts to institute set/reset schedules. Includes influencing retailers to follow UNFI's shelf management merchandising philosophy.
- Reviews the retail execution of the core and custom planograms for their financial, product, and fixture information to ensure that the shelf set follows the UNFI shelf management principles and is the most visually appealing, sales generating and profit enhancing option.
- Evaluates the executed core and custom planograms to determine if set/resets have provided expected results. Coordinate vendors, brokers and third-party merchandisers to adjust core and custom sets/resets if necessary.
- Initiates retail training and provide ongoing training on usage of reports, core and custom planograms and UNFI shelf management principles as well as core and custom planogram execution.
- Resolves all issues and conflicts (or take to the next appropriate level of management) regarding shelf management which may develop between retail and the region, and UNFI and the vendor/broker community.
- Exposes and reviews with retailers and retail ownership the extensive offering of Business and Professional Services available through UNFI. Connect retailer to appropriate UNFI contacts to help drive incremental sales and revenue.
- Wholesale experience preferred (three years).
- Minimum of four years of merchandising, grocery store merchandising, stocking, category management experience or field sales experience in displaying grocery, frozen, dairy, health, beauty, wellness, ethnic, specialty and/or general merchandise products.
- Must have a good understanding of store operations and an ability to read and follow computer-based shelf planograms. Space management experience preferred.
- Possess good leadership skills and the ability to supervise the work of others.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Analytical ability to handle administrative duties and mental alertness to ensure accurate, safe, and thorough completion of work activities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Must have valid driver's license, safe driving record as evidenced by current DMV report, and proof of auto insurance.
- Up to 50% regional travel required.
- Most work is performed at retail store level with a high degree of physical activity including extensive lifting (5-60 lbs.), bending, reaching, standing, kneeling and stooping.
- This position will, on occasion, be required to lift full cases of products, use power tools and/or assemble fixtures.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status. UNFI is an EO employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.