As a member of the Canadian Leadership Team and reporting to the President, Canada, the Director Marketing is tasked with driving the development and execution of the overall communication and marketing strategy for Private Brands and its products and for providing overall leadership and management for Canada's marketing plans and programs. Formulate and execute brand and marketing plans including consumer insights, sales support, advertising, public relations, web content, promotional campaigns, and selling shows. Direct marketing and advertising strategies to drive top line sales and customer perception. Lead development and business management to drive innovation pipeline within Private Brands and manage product life cycle, and packaging design. Partner with the Corporate Brands+ team, Canadian sales leadership team, and key customers as needed to ensure marketing plans reflect local and regional conditions.
Oversees communication for UNFI Canada internally and externally, through associate communication, trade publications, SharePoint content and website content.
Collaborates with Canada, Supplier Management, Sales, Supply Chain, Finance and operations to develop Marketing programs that meet the needs of UNFI Canada, customers, suppliers. Oversees the executions of all marketing publications and programs, ensuring that all are consistent with and support the company's overall brand strategy. Liaises with corporate marketing and communications to ensure that brand integrity is upheld, and the innovation pipeline is strong.JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
JOB REQUIREMENTS:Education/Certifications: (Required & Preferred)
- Develop portfolio objectives, form brand strategies and create a suite of brands under the Brands+ umbrella for Canada
- Develop brand marketing strategies and tactics in collaboration with the Canadian leadership team
- Deliver regular business reviews including monitoring performance and profitability by brand and category in partnership with Canadian Sales and Finance
- Liaise with vendors to develop products to bring private label products to market
- Partner with corporate branding to ensure alignment with UNFI corporate brand strategy
- Manage all external agencies
- Work with sales team on sales support materials, training and customer specific programs
- Manage day-to-day activities of the internal Brand Marketing and external Package Design teams establishing priorities, processes and timelines
- Owns the Private Label P&L and long-term growth strategy and ROI for Canada
- Provide training and coaching to staff to support ongoing growth and development
- Stay current on industry trends and engage in various forms of research
- Guide the creation of the annual promotional calendars for the various brands (both for Private Label and UNFI Canada's supplier community)
- Develops marketing objectives, goals and strategies for a working marketing plan
- Collaborates with Supplier Relationship Management and Sales to develop marketing programs that support sales, enhance customer and supplier relationships and meet revenue goals
- Develops tools for assessing the effectiveness and measuring ROI of marketing programs for UNFI, customers and suppliers. Participates in cross-functional project teams, as needed for activities such integrations of acquired businesses, reorganizations, IT projects impacting Marketing, etc.
- Gathers information on supplier and industry needs and perceptions
- Provides information on new competitive organizations
- Analyzes market price sensitivity
- Responsible for the development of effective promotional strategies
- Supports trade shows, training seminars, product launches and selling incentives
- Bachelor's degree in marketing or business management (or related field) and/or related equivalent experience
- MBA in Marketing preferred
- 10+ years marketing experience required CPG preferred
- 5+ years of people management experience
- Organics/CPG/Food Industry knowledge and/or experience preferred
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strong creative skills
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and presentation skills
- Demonstrate ability to understand and think strategically; ability to execute plans and programs that drive profitable sales
- Integrates and balances big-picture concerns with day-to-day activities. Evaluates and pursues initiatives, investments and opportunities based on their fit with broader strategies. Stays abreast of key competitor actions and their implications or threats to the business.
- Promotes teamwork and discourages "we vs. they" thinking. Appropriately involves others in decisions and plans that affect them. Works to remove barriers to collaboration. Seeks to understand and address the concerns and interests of others with opposing viewpoints.
- Understands and interpret financial results and analysis and develop appropriate recommendations.
- Demonstrates ability to understand and interpret consumer research.
- Proven ability to develop and grow staff
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment across all levels throughout the organization; can thrive in a complicated, fast-paced matrix environment.
- Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports innovation; leverages fresh perspectives, breakthrough ideas, and new paradigms to create value in the market.
- Thorough understand of Company products, services, competitors' product lines.
- Travel within North America may be required
- Most work is performed in a temperature-controlled office environment
- Incumbent may sit for long periods of time at desk or computer terminal
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Incumbent may use calculators, keyboards, telephone and other office equipment in the course of normal workday
- Stooping, bending, twisting and reaching may be required in completion of job duties
UNFI believes in a diverse and accommodating workplace. UNFI encourages and promotes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, disability or otherwise. UNFI is committed to providing full accommodation for persons with disabilities in all active processes and procedures including but not limited to the recruitment process. To request any accommodation you may require to participate in the recruitment process.