Job Location: Hershey PA Job Summary:
The Sensory Senior Research Scientist,Innovation, will work independently and as part of a team to design, collect, analyze, interpret, and report sensory and consumer data that provide actionable guidance and business recommendations to cross-functional teams and key stakeholders. The successful candidate will use his/her knowledge of consumer and analytical sensory methods to lead research for product improvements in existing products, innovation, advanced food and upstream research initiatives and growth platforms. This role's primary focus is on consumer testing, but the Associate Manager will also apply analytical sensory methods as needed to complement the testing required to meet project objectives. Additionally, they will contribute to the development and implementation of new/improved sensory and consumer research capabilities to further expand the department toolbox of methods.
The individual will interact extensively with Product Development, Commercial and Innovation Marketing, Marketing Research, and Supply Chain peers (Quality and Regulatory Compliance, Operations Engineering, and Manufacturing Operations, etc.). Role Responsibilities:
- Innovation Support: serve as a liaison to their assigned brand teams, strategic growth platforms teams, and R&D partners working on upstream research. The role entails participating in recurring project meetings and working with cross-functional team members to define project objectives, identify appropriate type of sensory and/or consumer research needed, and designing test protocols (includes consumer, discrimination, and descriptive testing). Planning, execution, analysis, and interpretation of sensory/consumer tests, including working with external vendors (on occasion universities); communication of results both verbally and in report/presentation format leading to sound recommendations and business decisions.
- Capability Building (methods & talent): assessment and implementation of new sensory and consumer research methods to drive capabilities, efficiencies, and performance. Interface with suppliers and industry professionals to recommend new research approaches and tools. Recurring Sensory team meetings to gain and maintain alignment on methods and best practices; administrative meetings, etc.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Education: B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. degree in Food Science, Psychology or Statistics with emphasis in Sensory and Consumer Research.
- A degree or certificate in Market Research is a plus.
- Minimum 6-10 years applicable work experience in Sensory\\Consumer testing with proven track record of new product launches.
- Demonstrated expertise and ability to independently lead complex projects. Includes research design, advanced statistical analysis, and reporting of complex studies to generate insights and business direction. Statistical modelling of sensory and consumer data, Design of Experiments (DOE), product/process optimizations, category assessments, Drivers of Liking (DOL).
- Demonstrated expertise in two or more of the following statistical analysis and programming software (i.e. SAS, JMP, R, SPSS, StatsGraphics, Minitab, etc.) and advanced statistical techniques (conjoint, regression, correlation, factor and cluster analysis, principle component analysis, etc.).
- Proficient in the use of Sensory data collection systems (i.e. EyeQuestion preferred, Compusense, SIMS,)
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of quantitative and qualitative consumer test methods to drive new product development and continuous improvement efforts (CLTs, HUTs, focus groups, ethnography, online surveys, etc.).
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of sensory analytical methods (descriptive, discrimination).
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate across and within functions that represent diverse viewpoints.
- Leadership skills/behaviors: business acumen, conflict management, and excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint,Outlook)
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize with very limited supervision
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans