Job Location: Hershey, PASummary:
The Sr Food Technologist fills a critical role in the successful development and execution of the US Region's multi-year continuous improvement plan. Utilizing solid food science skills and an understanding of core process engineering principles, this person will identify product and process optimization opportunities including but not limited to recipe changes, ingredient changes, process improvements, and new technology applications. The individual will lead or support projects toward a personal target of delivering $1M - $3M annual savings. They will also lead or supports quality, safety, supply continuity and capacity initiatives as assigned.Responsibilities:
- Under general direction assume responsibility for undertaking and executing product and process optimization projects of varying importance, complexity or scope. Undertake projects as assigned and make suggestions for initiation of projects or their abandonment as experience allows. Provide updates to project teams and management throughout the company that allows for timely decision making and the execution of testing schedules in an expedient and effective manner. Assume responsibility for participating in project design and methodology, problem solving through application of knowledge and original thinking. Identify, develop, and validate product and process optimization projects through preparation of experimental formulations and process designs, bench and pilot scale development and manufacturing trials. Participate in projects up to and including implementation, to include product and process support, training, and process sustainability initiatives.
- Collaboration with R&D, Regional Technical Solutions, Finance, QRC, Manufacturing and Marketing. Under general direction, take initiative to secure from such resources for all pertinent advice, ideas, and information having a bearing upon a project.
Product and Process Optimization: Recommend, design and develop product and process improvements within operations to provide the optimal solution for the given project.
- Develop initial process and product specifications, formulations, scope of work, schedule, capital design concept and estimates.
- Conduct proof of principle testing to evaluate technical and financial feasibility for proposed solutions.
- Review results of tests with others and recommend further testing and/or changes deemed necessary to formulation and manufacturing processes to assure process capacity and efficiency to meet the business plan.
- Prepare project reports, deduct significance of results and conclusions and make presentations of findings to Management as pertinent to complete assignments.
- Responsibilities may include ingredient specification and formula development, the design, implementation, and documentation of manufacturing feasibility trials and product sample generation, coordination of sensory testing, development of process solutions including conceptual engineering design, PFD and P&ID generation, cost estimation techniques, system and project proposal development, supplier evaluations, coordination of implementation with manufacturing staff; process commissioning, and successful transition of deliverables to plant operating staff, including training and technical knowledge to assure sustainability of improvements.
- Provide project management services as required to deliver optimization projects including cost, schedule, and resource management.
Product and Process Technical Support:
- Support product and process improvement initiatives throughout the Hershey manufacturing network.
- Utilize food science and process engineering principals, technical training and judgment to resolve product quality, process troubleshooting and optimization initiatives.
- Utilize root cause analysis and structured problem-solving methodology to identify root cause, develop and implement solutions to projects.
Technology Application Evaluation:
- Utilize technical training and skills in the discovery and application of new or emerging technologies for Hershey process and product optimization initiatives to meet strategic growth and cost initiatives.
- Determine technical feasibility and economic justification for new technology applications.
- Coordinate the operation of plant, pilot plant processing or laboratory equipment or apparatus in the performance of tests or the implementation of improvements.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain up to date knowledge related to processing technologies, equipment, and product formulas in a minimum of two technical areas related to chocolate, confectionery, candy, or related snack foods.
- Develop knowledge and proficiency related to change management and capital program management from discovery through execution phase.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Possess full working technical knowledge of product and process development and optimization, including formula and process development, optimization, manufacturing validation and implementation.
- Demonstrated application of food science and process engineering principles in developing manufacturing solutions with a sound understanding of the interaction between process unit operations and product physical and sensory properties.
- Possess the appropriate combination of knowledge and experience in design of manufacturing systems for the food industry including: a basic understanding of common process unit operations and equipment used in the food industry, sanitary design, construction practices and general knowledge of common equipment suppliers in the food industry.
- Possess the appropriate combinations of knowledge and experience to have a basic understanding of the design, application, and maintenance of process piping systems, valves, piping specialties, process automation and instrumentation, and PFD's and P&ID's.
- Working knowledge of Food Science and Engineering principles, Quality Assurance, Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Working knowledge of lean manufacturing, TPM, and green/black belt certification
- Experience operating lab and pilot scale equipment/instrumentation and working in a manufacturing plant.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, exercising a moderate level of judgment in project execution.
- Possess time management skills and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities in an expedient manner, having an understanding of the required business objectives, developing solutions and schedules, and efficient and expedient project executions.
- Demonstrate attention to details required to deliver results with sound project planning and project management skills.
- Interpersonal skills that allow for effective working relationships at all levels across the organization.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently in a flexible work environment with changing priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient computer literacy, fluent with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to accommodate unusual and extended work hours as required for project completion
- Ability to travel up to 50%
- Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, Food Engineering, or Chemistry
- 3-5 years of experience in Food Science/Engineering, Food Chemistry, or related fields.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans