Job Location: Hershey PA Job Summary:
This role is designed to support Innovation with a focus on food safety, speed to market, including "atypical" approaches to develop, manufacture and market new products. As a result, this position needs to react quickly to changing business needs and maintains a "fluid" work environment.
Under direction from the Sr. Mgr. Innovation Quality and Design and in collaboration with R&D, Operations, Engineering and Commercial Teams, this role is responsible for all food safety, quality, and regulatory compliance of the Agile Innovation Process and traditional early stage Innovation. This includes, but is not limited to, identification and approval of ingredients and packaging, conducting quality system assessments (ingredient/packaging suppliers, manufacturing locations, distribution sites, etc.), policy and procedure development pertaining to Innovation, conducting Quality Design Reviews, developing Food Safety and Quality plans and providing on-site support of manufacturing and distribution operations. Ensures compliance with government regulations, industry standards and Company's program and procedures. This position is also responsible to conduct periodic assessments of the consumer complaints, perform trend analysis and provide recommendations for improvement. Responsible for incident resolution and follow up corrective actions.
Prepare reports, presentations, and training modules.
Work with Hershey's QRC, Engineering, Product Development and R&D to identify, standardize, and implement best practices, new technologies and methods related to these areas of expertise and any emerging issues. Work with COEs and SMEs to develop and implement global standards for food safety and quality at external manufacturing partners. Work with Hershey Marketing, Sales and Operations to ensure inclusion of Quality Requirements in Contractual Agreements.
Must be able to travel up to 50% of the time with possible weekend travel and overnight stays required. Must be able to travel both domestically and internationally. Must be flexible to participate in trips that arise with short notice. Role Responsibilities:
- Actively identifies and approves packaging and ingredient suppliers, audits supplier/manufacturing/distribution locations. Prepares documentation necessary to support FSMA, Foods Safety, Quality and Regulatory Compliance. Provides on-site support at manufacturing sites during production runs. Conducts quality issue follow-up and resolution involving the manufacturing sites, distribution and logistic groups and manufacturing locations. Prepares reports for issue resolution, provides timely communication to partners upon learning any service related issue from manufacturing locations. Keeps abreast of government regulations and enforcement, trends in food safety, pest control regulations and techniques and changes in PEP/HACCP policies and procedures.
- Represents QRC on Front-of-Funnel Innovation and other applicable projects. Assures that the food quality and food safety aspects of the projects are taken into account in planning and implementation. Conducts Quality Design Reviews. Effectively communicates and transfers knowledge on projects, and product changes to regional QRC personnel.
- Participates in continuous program improvement efforts using audit and KPI data, Gap analysis and CPG benchmarking to establish yearly goals.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required to Successfully Perform Major Duties/ Responsibilities:
- BS degree in a technical field such as Chemistry/Biology/Microbiology, Food Science, Engineering.
- FDA PCQI (Preventative Control Qualified Individual) certification preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in the food industry with experience in manufacturing/co-manufacturing/co-packing/distribution quality systems and industry benchmarking, preferred.
- Able to work in a dynamic environment with short deadlines and constantly shifting business needs.
- Thorough knowledge of Food Safety and HACCP, GMPs, FDA regulations, quality design principles.
- FDA PCQI certification preferred.
- Ability to troubleshoot using Company-wide resources and evaluate quality systems.
- Capable of understanding varied manufacturing processes to include dairy, sweeteners, confectionery, cereal, peanuts and tree nuts, ground nuts, raisins, flour, snacks, baking, extrusion and warehousing.
- Manufacturing plant experience preferred.
- Quick learner and self motivated.
- Must be able to climb ladders and maneuver around equipment
- Must have strong computer skills and be proficient in desktop software packages
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently in a flexible work environment with changing priorities.
- Solid communication skills in verbal and written form. Solid presentation skills.
- Ability to represent Hershey and establish effective relationships with External Manufacturing Partners
- Ability to travel up to 50%, including domestic and international overnight travel on short notice.
- Valid driver's license.
- Must have or be able to obtain a Passport.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans