Job Location: Robinson, IL Summary:
Under minimal guidance, the Sanitation Specialist's primary role is to coordinate efforts to achieve and maintain sanitation programs and compliance Hershey's Product Excellence Program (PEP).
This position is responsible for overseeing the sanitation program to ensure compliance and proper execution in accordance with sanitation, food safety and safety corporate standards, HACCP principles, GFSI standards as well as local and state regulations, in order to maintain a visibly clean, audit ready environment for food production. Recommends and secures the appropriate resources (internal and external) and time (including necessary downtime) to assure a sanitary environment is maintained. Responsibilities:
- Manages Sanitation employees work schedule and responsibilities. Manage departmental financial responsibilities for sanitation, developing budget and cost controls when ordering supplies and scheduling services.
- Develops and maintains Master Sanitation Schedule and Environmental Microbiology Monitoring Program. Lead verification, monitoring, and validation of the sanitation related programs.
- Assures compliance to pest control program
- Develop and report plant food safety and sanitation KPIs.
- Identify and develop sanitary design solutions working with Microbiology, Engineering and/or Maintenance teams.
- Develops and conducts periodic audits and/or review results to interpret data trends, monitor emerging issues related to sanitation and develop remediation strategies accordingly.
- Act as an in-house expert resource for hourly, salary employees and supporting departments within the food safety and sanitation related discipline.
- Act as the primary interface for sanitation issues with regulatory agencies, corporate and other third party audits, providing leadership to identify, monitor, correct, and eliminate gaps between the plant environment and the required standards.
- The position serves as a technical resource for Manufacturing and Engineering along with providing leadership and guidance in the areas of sanitation and associated incident investigation and resolution, troubleshooting and other related matters.
- The position provides QA support to the various Business Units across the plant.
Training / Communication:
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
- Assure employee ownership of programs by developing and communicating essential information related to food safety and sanitation to all employees including management and line operatives.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Effective communication of technical and non-technical information to various levels, both internally and externally to the organization
- Knowledge of federal and state food industry regulations including Food Safety Modernization Act
- Understanding of sanitation and pest control practices.
- Internal candidates shall have strong understanding of The Hershey Company's Product Excellence Program (PEP)
- Strong working knowledge of QA principles
- Strong computer and document management skills
- Strong documentation skills and attention to detail
- Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with all levels internal and external to the plant to deliver timely results
- Establish and sustain effective relationships with all employees in order to foster and environment where innovation and cooperation are used to solve problems
- Strong auditing/assessment skills
- Knowledge of manufacturing operations
- Strong leadership skills and ability to influence management, enabling the activities of employee teams that do not have direct reporting to the Specialist
- Ability to interact effectively with third party and internal auditors
- Position will primarily work 1st shift, but work schedule flexibility is required to support a 24/7 manufacturing operation is required
- Work environment includes plant, warehouse, and plant grounds. Must be physically capable of walking, climbing, squatting etc. to complete sanitation inspections.
- Knowledge of pest control habits and possess the ability to identify pests (mice & rat droppings, insects, etc.).
- Associates Degree required; Bachelor's Degree preferred
- GFSI certification desired
- PCQI certification desired
- A minimum of 2 years sanitation experience required; 3 or more years strongly preferred
- Supervisory experience is required
- Confectionary based processes knowledge is a plus
- Certification in Pesticide Application desired
- Sanitary Design Principles Training desired
- USDA (micro sensitive), FDA (low moisture) manufacturing environments experience desired
- Allergens Management desired
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans