Job Location: Robinson, IL Summary:
The Hershey Company Robinson plant is a non-union plant producing products such as PayDay, Heath, Skor, Milk Duds, Whoppers, Reese's Pieces, Zero, Brookside Fruit Crunchy, & Scharffen Berger, in a high-speed complex environment.
The Process Engineer is responsible for developing and implementing process improvements that optimize output & quality & reduce costs and providing operations reliability support of all process functions throughout the entire process of converting raw material to finished goods and building operator capabilities. Major focus areas include safety, quality, production rates, and schedule adherence.
The Process Engineer works closely with Engineering (site and regional), Environmental Health & Safety, Quality Assurance, Production Teams, Maintenance, Operations Excellence, and Contractor teams. Responsibilities:
Process Systems Oversight
- Provide leadership & oversight for all aspects of the processing systems, including safety. Work with the maintenance department to ensure that the correct asset reliability plans are in place for the processing and utility equipment in the plants. Work with the production departments to ensure that Process Operating Guides are accurate and up to date.
Process Systems Optimization
- Provide strong technical leadership and support to Plant Operational and Maintenance staff in troubleshooting, root cause analysis, and safely optimizing existing process and utility systems.
Capital Project Management
- Manage capital projects up to $2,500,000 in scope for process improvement efforts. Developing manufacturing feasibility assessments, capital cost estimates, process system design, selecting equipment, preparing equipment and construction bid specifications, evaluating bids, overseeing installation and start-up of process equipment and systems, troubleshooting, and training of line supervisors, operators, and maintenance personnel.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
- Ensure that plant Layouts, Process Flow Diagrams (PFD's), and Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID's) are accurate and up to date.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Expert in developing / optimizing executable processes suitable for implementation in a manufacturing facility within the project timeline and budget - while following Good Manufacturing Practices, Construction Practices, Standards and Codes
- Ability to lead and direct a multifunctional team in the development and implementation of processing solutions that require complex analyses of data collected from multiple sources
- Capable of making critical decisions under pressure and with limited information
- Ability to champion and implement new ideas and technologies
- Ability to provide documentation to manufacturing leadership that is critical for the day-to-day operation and continued maintenance of a processing system
- Ability to train manufacturing personnel including Operators, Supervisors, QA and Maintenance on the key operating parameters of processing equipment
- Ability to understand the impact of the key processing parameters in the conversion of raw ingredient and in-process material to finished product
- Ability to successfully manage small - mid-sized capital projects, including cost, schedule, and resources (internal and contractors), as well as leading multi-functional teams in project execution
- A good understanding of mechanical equipment design and fabrication, including materials of construction and design specifications
- Working knowledge of industrial utility systems including Steam, Compressed Air, Chilled Water, and HVAC systems
- Working Knowledge of Pumps, Heat Exchangers, Extruders, Depositors, and Mixers
- Familiarity with Industrial Power Distribution and Process Control Platforms
- Working knowledge of Computer Aided Design (CAD) software
- Willingness to embrace and support change
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of driving improvements
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology (Chemical / Mechanical / Electrical) required
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred
- Minimum of three years manufacturing experience required
- Experience managing the Process Engineering portion of Capital Projects required
- Experience using Process Flow Diagrams, Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams, and knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices to create process estimates & design in the manufacturing industry required
- Minimum of three years Process Engineering experience strongly preferred
- Experience in a high-speed automated Consumer Goods environment (e.g. production of food, beverages, pharmaceuticals, household goods, and/or tobacco) preferred
- Understanding of extrusion technology is preferred
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans