Job Location:Hershey, PA Job Summary:
The Hershey Technical Center consists of Product Development, Engineering, Pilot Plant operations, Micro and Analytical labs, administrative functions and warehousing activities. Building 47 is primarily warehousing activities and sporadic small-scale operations. The Semi-Works Facility is a manufacturing operation for the Hershey Company which manufactures small scale innovation products for new product markets.
- Under limited supervision, directs the development, implementation, and maintenance of comprehensive environmental, safety and health programs for the Technical Center, Building 47 and Semi-Works including programs, policies and procedures that are compliant and promote continuous improvement.
- Provides the leadership, direction and support necessary to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and EHS standards to meet or exceed relevant internal and external safety, health & environmental standards in a manner consistent with sound business practice.
- The position will direct the work of other salary, hourly and contractor employees.
- Facilitate compliance with each facility, regional, corporate and regulatory environmental, health & safety standards and guidelines through audits, inspections, recordkeeping and data documentation. Assist management with investigations, provide recommendations for corrective or preventive measures, and ensure that accurate environmental and injury/illness records are maintained.
- Develops, implements, and maintains comprehensive programs in the areas of general safety, industrial hygiene, fire safety, process safety management, and environmental compliance, including policies and standard operating procedures. Lead plant safety, and regulatory compliance efforts, delegating testing, tracking, and reporting as necessary.
- Provide oversight and assists in the completion of the facility EHS management systems including employee participation, hazard analyses, safe operating procedures, training, risk management, loss control, spill prevention, hazardous waste, DOT hazardous materials, emissions, environmental permitting, emergency planning (EPCRA), Incident Reporting, JSA (Job Safety Analysis) development, LOTO (Lock Out/Tag Out) procedures, and CS (Confined Space) entry documentation, and all other key system elements.
- Provide leadership and direction in the development, and oversight of EHS compliance and continuous improvement program elements. Serve as liaison with applicable external regulatory agencies and coordinate and follow-up on EHS audits to ensure satisfactory compliance. Ensure all required reports are completed and submitted as required. This involves a dotted line reporting relationship to the Corporate Environmental Health and Safety Director.
- Lead these facilities Health Services aspects with ERT, CPR, and Incident investigation with employee injuries and illness.
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational / Industrial Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Engineering, Environmental Science, or other EHS related field is preferred; other four-year degrees will be considered.
- Certification in an EHS-related discipline and/or further education is a plus.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in a manufacturing and/or R&D environment related to EHS program management.
- Preference for food, food-related or consumer package goods experience.
- Requires the ability to develop and maintain relationships with all levels within the organization from corporate, regional and plant management to supervisors and hourly employees in all areas.
- Requires the ability to effectively manage personnel and budget to meet targeted objectives. Detailed knowledge of OSHA, EPA and other applicable industry environmental, health and safety standards
- Strong analytical skills to evaluate performance metrics and outcomes
- Superior communication skills - verbal and written
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills with the ability to develop multiple solutions to an issue and make valid recommendations for resolution
- Able to understand and execute processes including recognizing customer needs, communicating process changes, measuring and assessing success and identifying areas of improvement
- Ability to work under pressure
- Skill in budget preparation and management
- Ability to develop and implement environmental, health and safety policies, programs, and training
- Experience with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SAP computer applications
- Knowledge of manufacturing and laboratory practices and processes
- Ability to adjust work hours as needed
- Ability to climb ladders, stairs, and to lift moderately heavy items such as test equipment or materials
- Demonstrated ability to move between tasks and projects on short notice and to quickly change priorities based on customer and department needs, while still meeting project deadlines (Flexibility is key in this role as priorities change quickly)
- Ability to support ERT and medical situations
- Able to work well in a team environment or independently
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans