Job Location: Hazleton, PA Please note that this is a 3rd shift position Summary:
The Hershey Company Hazleton plant is a Union plant producing products such as Cadbury, Milk Bars, Almond Bars, Extra Dark Bars, Caramel Bars, Candy Coated Eggs, and Kit Kat, in a high-speed complex environment.
Under moderate guidance, the Associate QA Specialist's primary job responsibilities are to serve as a liaison between Quality Assurance (QA) and Manufacturing. In this role the Associate QA Specialist provides support to the manufacturing operations and is the sole QA representative on shift. QA responsibilities include ensuring compliance to all company and regulatory policies/procedures pertaining to product safety/quality. This may include environmental duties.
This position serves as a technical resource for Manufacturing and Engineering, providing leadership and guidance in the areas of weight control, packaging, incident investigation and resolution, troubleshooting and other related matters. This position provides QA support to assigned Business Unit. The Associate QA Specialist must have a sound working knowledge of Hershey's quality systems requirements. Some laboratory duties are required.Responsibilities:
- Facilitates production activities to meet quality/safety specifications and regulatory standards by providing training, auditing, troubleshooting and incident management.
- Assists in efforts to educate and train the workforce on food quality and safety issues. Conducts training specifically for plant employees and regularly follows up with employees to ensure that they understand the requirements of their jobs.
- Conducts audits in accordance with Product Excellence Program (PEP)/ Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) / Environmental compliance procedures. Reviews CCP paperwork for compliance.
- Investigates and analyzes incidents to identify trends in product/quality safety information. Initiates corrective actions and communicates findings as appropriate. Uses various computer support systems (ex. SAP product tracking, Line Production Reporting (LPR), Cost of Non-Conformance (CONC), etc.) to help isolate / solve problems.
Sampling / Instrumentation Program:
- Responsible for the Sampling program. This includes micro samples, pesticide samples, Cadbury quality review samples, Cadbury direct send samples, Kit Kat verification samples, Environmental swab samples, retained samples and maintaining the retained library. Responsible for sample collection, input into the Lab Information Management System (LIMS), where applicable and reporting out of tolerance results. Prepares dosing sets, tracks and maintains proper inventories of essences. Coordinates in-house chocolate collaborative program and supports instrumentation calibration program.
- Conducts regular internal audits on all HACCP and PEP systems, documents and reports findings and follows-up on non-conformances. Conducts monthly sanitation area audits and audits of other prerequisite systems as appropriate.
Continuous Improvement / Project / New Product Support:
- Implements continuous improvement through utilization of PEP program elements such as Master Control Plans, Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP), HACCP, ACCP, Weight Control and
Consumer Complaint Reduction:
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
- Leads improvement teams and prepares reports as necessary. Under moderate supervision, acts as QA representative on multi-functional project teams, business unit or non-routine assignments. May support new product efforts from initial test runs to full-scale production to assure integrity of systems.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Knowledge of federal and state food industry regulations.
- Understanding of sanitation and pest control practices
- Familiarity with GFSI standards
- Strong computer, document management skills and attention to details
- Ability to effectively communicate in verbal and written form
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Dexterity required for handling and performing tests in an accurate manner. Ability to record data as needed.
- Ability to climb ladders to work platforms, climb stairs to other work areas. Lifting of moderately heavy items such as test equipment and product cases may be required.
- Strong problem solving/trouble shooting skills
- Solid understanding of a production / manufacturing environment
- Strong auditing / assessment skills
- Strong leadership skills and ability to influence management enabling the direction of activities of teams of employees that do not have direct reporting to this role.
- Proficiency in computer programs / software such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, Power Point, SAP (Recipe Management), Net Weight and QA Trends
- Working knowledge of regulatory and quality system requirements - PEP, HACCP, Good Manufacturing Process (GMP), etc.
- B.S. or A.S. in Chemical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Food Science, Microbiology or related field preferred
- 1 - 5 years of related experience
- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) Certification is desirable
- Six Sigma certification is desirable
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans