About The Position
St. James Winery is seeking a proactive, strategic and results driven leader to join our wholesale team and thrive within the company’s sales system and culture within the St. James family of brands. The Missouri state director will develop and manage the sales strategy based on opportunities within each of the four regions and state-wide collaborating with the wholesaler sales leaders. This role will lead the charge with key regional and local chains through direct selling at headquarters and the effective collaboration with the wholesaler chain management team. Accountable for developing goals, leading the execution of initiatives by product group and brand contributing to the achievement of revenue, contribution and sales efficiency goals.
The following duties are typical for this position. Employees may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Leads the quarterly sales planning process with the wholesaler’s Brand Sales Director to foster the alignment of strategy, goals, initiatives, action plans and motivational vehicles
- Attentive and proactive collaboration with wholesaler Brand Sales Director in the areas of initiative generation, advance planning, pricing and tactical development that deliver revenue goals, gross profit targets and inventory management.
Wholesaler Collaboration and Coordination
- Sets goals and expectations for wholesaler performance, provides execution guidance and motivation for success while reflecting on the results for learning and improvement
- Meets quarterly with wholesaler divisional sales leadership and managers in the four regions of Missouri to foster the maintenance and development of the business.
- Works the market independently and with wholesaler field personnel to inform, educate and inspire, organizes market surveys to scorecard performance, blitzes and demos, as well as develop and deliver sales engagement meetings/GSMs.
- Develops strategies in conjunction with the Chief Sales Officer, Marketing Director, Business Intelligence lead, and Senior Leadership (CEO, CPO, and COO) to construct sales plans on a quarterly, bi-annual and annual basis.
- Leverages opportunity recognition skills to share insights that drive strategy and initiatives both internally as well as with key wholesaler stakeholders.
Regional / Local Chain Management
- Collaborates with chain mangers to design strategies and selling approaches to influence buying decisions that are favorable for the St. James brands, our wholesaler and trade partners.
- Works directly with strategic off and on premise chains to identify methods for alignment, assortment optimization and programming opportunities, and strategies for growth across channels of trade that drive value creation while enhancing relationships with the buying team.
Budgetary and Communication
- Manages the budgetary and financial metrics to meet brand revenue, profit, contribution, and sales efficiency goals
- Shares market insights and activities, and opportunities with an action plan to sales leadership and the broader winery team
- Actively participates in the winery sales process which includes weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual planning, execution and reflection meetings
Qualifications and Experience
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
Experience and Competencies
- 10 years of adult beverage industry experience with a minimum of 5 years as a supplier representative
- Proven business skills such as forecasting, profit / loss management, forecasting, budgeting and the development of price strategies and structures
- Skill sets in developing presentations utilizing a fact-based and solution selling approach
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as organizational, self-motivational, critical thinking, analytical and follow up skills
- Strong orientation to detail and the ability to influence effective outcomes based on sound reasoning and advice
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent work experience
- Nielsen / IRI familiarity
- Computer skills: Proficiency with MS Office, emphasis upon data analysis and presentation tools, VIP iDig or other data analytics platform
- Preferred location is the greater St. Louis, Missouri metro with the ability to travel frequently across the state
In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health insurance, participation in our retirement program, incentive compensation programs, travel and expense budget and company furnished automobile.
Physical Demands and Working Environment:
These conditions are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in multiple settings, to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time, to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate Office equipment as well as a company vehicle, requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.