About The Position
Square Roots is the technology leader in urban indoor farming. Square Roots brings real food to people!
In this role, you will build and execute our strategy to achieve sales goals with existing partners, and grow our customer base.
Senior Customer Business Manager
About Square Roots
Square Roots is the technology leader in urban indoor farming. With production farms in Brooklyn, NY, and Grand Rapids, MI (with more to come in 2021!) Square Roots has a mission to bring local, real food to people in cities across the world while empowering the next generation of leaders in our industry.
We’re a young company (est. 2016) with the potential and ambition to change the food system in ways that are better for people and the planet as well as profits. Everyone on the Square Roots team—from farmers to software developers, from brand strategists to financial analysts—is ready to make a massive impact in controlled climate farming and the future of the global food industry.
About the Role
Square Roots is looking to hire a Senior Customer Business Manager to help facilitate our growth across the United States.
In this role, you will build and execute our strategy to achieve sales goals with existing partners, and grow our customer base in target markets. You will be relied on to engage and close new business, and develop strong relationships with Square Roots customers.
- Be accountable for the planning and executing of sales targets with current customers
- Expand our customer base by building and maintaining strong relationships with key retailers and customer partners
- Identify new customer opportunities within an assigned list of accounts, retailers, wholesalers, or distributors.
- Manage relationships with retailers and internal processes to ensure optimal execution of company OKRs.
- Identify and execute against new customer opportunities to continually build our distribution footprint, while remaining mindful of production capacity and ROI on DSD-related investments.
- Advance the development and sales growth across retail customers in the Midwest, spanning key classes of trade: grocery, natural/specialty, and eCommerce.
- Support Sr Director of Sales to develop forecasts, create sell-in presentations, and execute sales and promotional plans for larger corporate retail customers and targets.
- Travel as necessary for customer appointments, etc. Anticipate approximately 50% travel
You have experience with:
- 5+ years of grocery sales and account management experience in the food industry.
- Working with key retail accounts to establish relationships and have demonstrated success with these partners
- Ability to plan and manage at both the strategic and operational levels. Working knowledge and understanding of Spins, Nielsen, etc.
- Growing partner commitment and building strategic work relationships
- Addressing all retailer specific requests and requirements
- Listening, presentation, negotiation, analysis, customer service, selling, communication, organization and problem solving
- Passionate about real, local food
- Extremely flexible and enjoy a "high-change" environment where priorities can shift from day to day.
- Comfortable with working independently while being a strong team player
- Flexibility to successfully multitask in a fast-paced environment
- A team player that likes to wear many hats
- A great listener who iterates quickly
You'll love working at Square Roots because:
We're here to change the food system. You'll have the opportunity to play a significant role in our work at the intersection of technology, farming, and the global food industry - and we're only just getting started.
Our team is driven by a shared set of values. These keep us aligned and remind us how to show up every day in the face of growth and ambiguity. Whether you’re working remotely or on the farms, collaboration, respect, optimism and humility are all embraced, and we seek to empower people at every step. Ask us about the rest!
Benefits and perks, of course. We're all here first and foremost to play our part in the mission, but medical, dental, and vision coverage, flexible work life culture, and lots of samples of the delicious food we grow certainly do not hurt. :)