About The Position
Do you love research? Do you have a scientific background? We are looking for a Senior Director of Innovation to join our PD team and manage our Scientific Advisory Board. This role is instrumental in creating our new products!
SmartyPants is looking for a motivated, dedicated, and detail-oriented individual for the Senior Director of Innovation position. The role is accountable for the overseeing and coordination of activities regarding new product Innovation for new product developments for SmartyPants Vitamins and will directly interacted with all functions of Supply Chain, Finance, Marketing, R&D etc. to deliver latest science and Innovation strategically to ensure Corporate product goals are on time, on cost, at the right quality.
What You’ll Do:
- Identify/create new innovation that can be practically put to use. Develop and execute the product innovation strategic plan.
- Define, implement and maintain an innovation framework of processes, including governance and execution for our Blue Sky.
- Manage the Scientific Advisory Boards. Maintain current membership, contracts, budget and tactics to ensure efficacy, efficiency and multi disciplinary participation.
- Ensure the latest nutritional science Is considered during the innovation process.
- Provide Leadership to the R&D Team.
- Create a robust process that Identifies and leverages new clinical data to incorporate into our structure function claims.
What You Have:
- Proven track record in building a Research and Development Department in a CPG company
- Strong Marketing knowledge as applied in CPG
- Understanding of new product development processes & stage gate approach
- Fundamental understanding of wet processing.
- Exposure to production environment & interaction of packaging, process, manufacturing
Skills & Behaviors
- Demonstrates a strong sense of individual accountability
- Is autonomous, action-orientated and pragmatic
- Is committed to deliver results, goes after the stretch target
- Takes conscious and calculated risks
- Makes fast decisions balancing intuition and facts
- Proactively seeks improvement, is a solution provider and a problem solver
- Makes innovation happen within real-life constraints
- Learns from successes and failures, looks for and reapplies best practices
- Embraces and accelerates change in a fast-paced environment
- Is resilient and flexible, adapts to new challenges
- Is passionate, enthusiastic and has fun in work achievement
- Thrives on challenges and keeps a healthy attitude under pressure
- Communicates effectively
- Is willing to help others and focuses on customer needs
- Solicits and derives benefit from other’s feedback
- Demonstrates relevant business knowledge & financial awareness
- Is dedicated to driving the business in a profitable & sustainable way
- Guides others through change by example
- Gives constructive & actionable feedback to improved performance & development
- Recognizes the contribution of others, differentiates fairly
What you’ll get:
- Robust benefits package with employer contribution
- Monthly wellness perks
- Flexible work hours
- FREE SmartyPants Vitamins plus a friends & family discount
- Dog-friendly office
- Casual dress code & open office environment
- Volunteer opportunities
- A rewarding career at a company with a strong mission, great culture, and super fun, passionate people
SmartyPants is a fast-moving and mission-driven company that values transparency, excellence, and integrity. Our headquarters in Marina del Rey are a former architect's office, a two-story space where we work in an open environment with no elevator access to our 2nd floor offices. We have a communal garden and we are dog-friendly, often with several pups in the office at any given time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as the working environment is open and has no doors or cubicles. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SmartyPants Vitamins is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
SmartyPants, Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing Los Angeles based supplement company focused on providing premium all-in-one vitamins for the entire family. From the start, SmartyPants Vitamins has been about family, authenticity and a core commitment to our collective well-being. SmartyPants believes in making it easier to stay healthy by providing best-in-class products that also taste great.
We're industry leaders in testing, transparency and advocacy, from sourcing the highest-quality ingredients to testing and packaging. We have an appreciation for the comedy and intensity that comes from working in a company with explosive growth and a strong sense of social responsibility. We believe in giving back by making a matching nutrient grant donation to a child in need for every bottle we sell.
SmartyPants was ranked on the Inc. 5000 list in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 and also cited as the 25th fastest growing company in Los Angeles by the LABJ. Designed and made in California.