Sazerac Company Overview
Build your career at Sazerac! With almost 400 years of rich history, Sazerac Company has thrived as an independent, American family-owned company with operations in the United States and around the world. Since the 2000s, Sazerac has averaged double digit growth every year! Sazerac Company produces and markets the most award-winning bourbons and whiskeys in the world, including Buffalo Trace, Pappy Van Winkle, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, and Sazerac Rye. Additionally, Sazerac owns many popular brands across a range of spirits, including Fireball, Southern Comfort, Seagram's V.O., Myers's, Goldschläger, Parrot Bay, 99 Brand, and Platinum Vodka.
We're proud of our award-winning culture and distilleries. Our Louisville office has been named one of the "Best Places to Work in Kentucky" four times, and our Buffalo Trace Distillery has earned the title of "world's most award-winning distillery" through the dedication of our craftsmen for well over 200 years. Whether you're a recent graduate or an experienced professional, Sazerac provides extraordinary opportunities for growth with competitive salaries and benefits in an exciting, entrepreneurial industry. Job Description/Responsibilities
The Log Procurement Manager directs the procuring logs to meet the demands of the TN and GA Stave Mill. This includes grading, pricing, and payment of logs purchased directly from the log suppliers and timber plots offered for sale. Includes the supervision of 2 team members. Responsible to maintain, the inventory control system and inventory levels.
Qualifications/Requirements REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Identifies skill deficiencies of direct reports and works with each employee to improve one or more skills each year. Works with manager to identify and improve own skill deficiencies assuring personal growth to support the company growth
- Assures that incoming logs and timber cruises are properly graded so that purchase price offers are correct. Closely checks all incoming logs to assure deductions for minerals, steel, and insect defects are properly captured. Maintains a working relationship with the suppliers to assure that we get our share of quality logs available in the market.
- Continually seeks means to improve department's performance as measured against company identified Key Performance Indicators (KPI'S)
- Monitors and reinforces company safety regulations and policies. Assures that new team members are properly trained to be aware of the dangers in the log yard of loading equipment. Reinforces training periodically to assure compliance. Implements and maintains Behavior Based Safety processes
- Continually explore ways to improve the log purchasing operation. Provides regular guidance to team members of the importance of their work and efforts to assist the company to improve. Uses PDCA process and A3 documentation for Continuous Improvement.
- Assures that the log buying work area is always kept free of debris and idle equipment not directly associated with the log purchasing activities. On a daily basis supervises the clean-up of the bark and scrap which accumulates with each delivery of logs.
- Manage the log buying operation in a manner consistent with the culture of the company. Ensure all team members are treated with respect. Create a team environment where all team members are encouraged to strive to contribute to company goals. Maintain consistent relationship with log vendors and logging companies.
- Continuously work to improve your own skills and those of your team to assure that each team member is improving current skills/ developing new skills at a pace equal to or faster than the company's growth.
- Responsible to rotate logging inventories to avoid/reduce yield losses caused when logs are stored too long. Responsible to tag all log purchases with barcode that allows for tracking of daily cutting volume and subsequent stave yield volumes. On a monthly basis conducts a physical log inventory and reconciles with the accounting team.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of 7 years of Supervisory experience
- Minimum of 7 years in the logging, sawmill, or lumber industry
- Proficient in Microsoft office products
- Purchasing wood products
- Strong planning and organizational skills