Sazerac Company Overview
Build your career at Sazerac! With almost 400 years of rich history, Sazerac Company has thrived as an independent, American family-owned company with operations in the United States and around the world. Since the 2000s, Sazerac has averaged double digit growth every year! Sazerac Company produces and markets the most award-winning bourbons and whiskeys in the world, including Buffalo Trace, Pappy Van Winkle, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, and Sazerac Rye. Additionally, Sazerac owns many popular brands across a range of spirits, including Fireball, Southern Comfort, Seagram's V.O., Myers's, Goldschläger, Parrot Bay, 99 Brand, and Platinum Vodka.
We're proud of our award-winning culture and distilleries. Our Louisville office has been named one of the "Best Places to Work in Kentucky" four times, and our Buffalo Trace Distillery has earned the title of "world's most award-winning distillery" through the dedication of our craftsmen for well over 200 years. Whether you're a recent graduate or an experienced professional, Sazerac provides extraordinary opportunities for growth with competitive salaries and benefits in an exciting, entrepreneurial industry. Job Description/Responsibilities
The Assistant Controller manages and leads Sazerac's global consolidation and financial reporting efforts, and the design, maintenance, and improvement of systems, processes, and controls for it. In addition to collecting and consolidating information timely and accurately, this role is responsible for developing value-added reports and insightful analytics which are tools to support timely management decision making.
- Conduct PDS reviews with direct reports to improve skills and performance utilizing PDS as tool to conduct optimal performance discussions, articulate consistent skill evaluations, recommend actions and tactics, and measure progress. Support the widespread use of PDS within the finance organization. Promote and support Company culture within the finance organization.
- Provide mentorship, training and opportunity for the individuals in the department to grow within Sazerac based on their career development plan. Knows the career goals and plans for the team and works to develop and retain key successors in the organization.
- Utilize PPT as a task/project management tool where and when appropriate. Use PPT to accelerate progress on projects, identify / keep in contact with team members and make sure all projects are up to date.
- Partner with Human Resources Business Partner & Talent Acquisition to ensure thorough candidate evaluations are occurring in the hiring process leading to high-quality candidates and good hiring decisions. Ensures use of Sazerac hiring and staffing system and processes.
- Play a lead role in analyzing and planning to improve financial performance year-over-year. Find trends and opportunities in performance that can be leveraged for material growth opportunities and/or cost reductions. Work closely with cross-functional leaders to highlight opportunities, track progress and to flag performance challenges in order to deliver on the Company's annual plan.
- Direct general accounting operations and the preparation of consolidated financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Ensure preparation of all reports required by banks in accordance with debt agreements. Oversee inquiries from other external agencies such as IRS and various state and local authorities.
- Maintain the integrity of the company's financial controls by testing / inspecting existing controls and updating controls as needed. Ensure fulfillment of fiduciary responsibilities (safeguarding company assets). Ensure Company is in compliance with all applicable rules and regulations
- Ensure financial systems, reports and analysis provide informative / actionable information needed to support and promote growth. Contribute to growth in earnings / returns via cost savings, etc. Drive growth in sales and related gross profit via financial analysis. Identify and communicate specific opportunities to improve specific price and cost improvement opportunities.
- Drive analysis of income statement through Monthly Performance Reviews. Drive actionable insights into the business through key performance indicators (KPI) to highlight trends and translate commercial and operational performance into measurable action plans. Develop, interpret and analyze complex financial concepts and techniques for financial planning and forecasting.
- Responsible for adopting sound accounting policies and for establishing and maintaining internal control that will, among other things, initiate, record, process, and report transactions (as well as events and conditions) consistent with management's assertions embodied in the financial statements.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA Certification
- Comfortable with change in a fast moving environment,
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new systems / processes
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly and effectively in demanding situations
- Detail oriented and demonstrated ability to perform work with high degree of accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- 5 years experience in GL accounting and development of financial statements in accordance with GAAP
- 5 years Experience in statutory and GAAP reporting
- 7 years accounting experience
2 years manufacturing experience in CPG or process industry