Salt and Straw
Restaurant and Production and Manufacturing
2011-01-01View Full Profile
About The Position
Position: Miami District Manager
Are you ready to set the stage and create magical moments of hospitality? We are looking for a passionate leader who can inspire team members to reach their own heights of service and community. Join our fast-growing company as we head across the country and open our first scoop shops on the East Coast
In 1996, Kim Malek dreamed of opening an ice cream shop. A gathering place where you could run into neighbors, celebrate with your family, or treat yourself. A space where real community could happen. She held on to this dream while working for a handful of Fortune 500 companies, learning the value of building a business model around compassion, transparency and putting people first. In 2011, she and her cousin Tyler decided to make the dream a reality. Tyler moved from Seattle to Portland and spent endless hours testing flavor ideas. Kim cashed out her 401K and signed a lease for our first scoop shop. Kim scooped by day and Tyler scooped by night. Together, they started serving wildly creative, locally driven scoops out of a cart.
It wasn’t long before they were being recognized for their culinary creations: the Wall Street Journal deemed our ice cream as “the new standard to beat” and Oprah featured us as one of her Favorite Things. Chef and co-founder Tyler Malek then won Forbes 30 under 30 for “Changing the Way America Eats”.
Today, Salt & Straw has 19 locations along the West Coast, including Downtown Disney, and we ship our ice cream nationally. As we’ve grown, our ice cream has stayed small-batch and hand-crafted, churned with all-natural dairy and the best ingredients we can find. All of our cities have a locally curated menu: We partner with chefs, cheesemongers, chocolatiers, brewers, coffee roasters, and even fourth-graders to create flavors that reflect the communities where we scoop.
Generosity and putting people first is at the root of how we do business. We're committed to creating a safe, inclusive environment where people can be their best selves and personal philosophies are valued and encouraged. All employees learn about the organization’s commitment to legendary hospitality and the importance of finding ways to pleasantly surprise customers and one another. We embrace a feedback driven culture and share a dedication to making unbelievable ice cream.
Salt & Straw Values
- Make unbelievable ice cream
- Be known for legendary hospitality
- Take care of each other
- Carefully tend to profits and growth
Position Description and Key Responsibilities
The Florida District Manager is a key leadership role that will represent and help grow the Salt & Straw brand in the South Florida market. You will play a critical role in cultivating a strong community inside and outside of our scoop shops, kitchens, and support center. From hiring, training, and building a best-in-class retail team, your leadership will inspire our team to take care of one another and our community, and make our scoop shops the best place to work, partner with, and visit. You will help execute our strategic company vision and bring our core values to life.
The success of this role is measured by the following:
- Develop and inspire a market of highly effective Managers who take ownership and accountability of their team, shop, and financial success. Brings out the best in others to reach their full potential.
- Motivate, coach and create connections with team members through regular shop visits and team communication.
- Bring our values and training to life by leading by example.
- Guide Managers in performance managing their team according to company policy and in a consistent and effective way.
- Ensure Managers are using labor tools to appropriately staff their shops.
- Foster a shop experience filled with passionate, knowledgeable, and kind teams who create outstanding, individual, and local experiences.
- Build a bench of field leadership utilizing company succession and development tools in partnership with the HR team.
- Assess the shop experience through scheduled and unscheduled visits with a focus on legendary hospitality, product excellence, cleanliness, process and procedure, facilities, safety and team morale.
- Represent Salt & Straw to neighboring businesses and vendors and at community events and meetings such as neighborhood association meetings.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with the marketing team.
- Train & coordinate shop teams to contribute to new shop openings.
- Provide strategic support to the shop managers in reaching annual sales & labor goals via periodic priorities and accountabilities.
- Facilitate and lead a quarterly business plan for their district with key tactics and milestones.
- Address and resolve operational challenges as quickly as possible, including shop equipment, community relations, natural disasters, and emergencies.
- Foster a culture that is entrepreneurial in spirit and embraces the ambiguity associated with the continual evolution of the brand.
- Work within the established guidelines that pertain to the District Manager success routines on an annual, quarterly, periodic, daily, and weekly basis.
- 5+ years in retail management
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Own method of transportation between locations if needed
- Available after-hours for shop emergencies
- Able to work independently and remotely
- Available for travel (1-2x/month)
- Availability to work full-time days and evenings
- Current Food Handler card and respect for safety and hygiene standards
- Degree in Business Management or related field desired
As a full-time employee, working at least 20 hours per week, you and your eligible dependents qualify for Salt & Straw’s comprehensive benefit package.
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Short & Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance and AD&D Insurance
- Fully paid parental leave
- Leadership training
- Competitive wages, bonus program, and opportunities for growth
- 80 hours of accrued paid time off
- Lots of incredible ice cream!
Enough of what we think…
Hear what our team has to say about working at Salt & Straw:
And learn more about the inspiration behind how we create new flavors every month, straight from our co-founder and head ice cream maker, Tyler Malek:
Salt & Straw is proud to be an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals. We will consider all people - minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities no matter their sexual orientation or gender identity. Salt & Straw will consider giving opportunities to qualified individuals with criminal histories when it aligns with federal, state and local statutes.
- Reports To VP of Operations
- Direct Reports 2