Coordinates company-wide activities as they relate to Fleet Department of Transportation (DOT/FMCSA) Training and Driver Safety certifications. Responsible for establishing, leading, and maintaining Department of Transportation (DOT) compliance policies and Safety specific courses through a regimen of training, inspections, and audits across the company. Train RNDC drivers on all appropriate DOT Safety subject matter, as directed. Assume primary responsibility for the conduct of all fleet safety inspections, audits, and routine examinations of facility fleet operations to ensure that they are free of recognized hazards and all established rules and procedures are being followed. Provide Smith System or equivalent safe driving training to all RNDC drivers and provide guidance and advice to facility management with regards to all Fleet Safety related topics. Serve as a liaison between RNDC facilities and local regulatory agencies, the community, and Regional and Corporate Safety leadership. Responsibilities
Other duties may be assigned:
• Train drivers on safe driving practices utilizing the Smith system or equivalent safe driving program.
• Conduct fleet DOT audits, inspections, or reviews to ensure compliance.
• Exercises independent judgment and discretion in certifying new and existing drivers according to DOT requirements/standards.
• Determine commercial driver training, retraining needs, and proficiency requirements as determined by RNDC DOT Safety programs and procedures.
• Assist, identify/ monitor and communicate with supervisor about drivers displaying unsatisfactory or marginal driving skills and recommend/provide remedial actions, equipment restrictions and other corrective measures.
• Inspect and verify truck stops, loading zones, roadway conditions, and truck maneuvering restrictions for safety requirements.
• Establish, maintain and/or support standards of driver personal conduct and discipline, in accordance with the current discipline policy while on the truck or at branch or at the stops.
• Understands established procedures and federal regulations regarding DOT requirements and refine driver training program to comply with the law and customer requirements continuously.
• Responsible for enforcement of PC Driver training (i.e., Circle of Safety, IndustrySafe, RNDC-U, etc.) to ensure compliance with training and certifications.
• Rides with drivers and evaluates them to ensure they meet requirements and provides Branch Operations Managers performance evaluation data on same.
• Coordinates with RNDC corporate managers to provide additional training to drivers on operating any cab mounted technology, as needed.
• Monitor driver performance yearly for adherence to DOT Safety SOP's and procedures. standards. Qualifications
Bachelor's degree and seven plus years' relevant experience with proven experience in a fleet safety management leadership role; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Job-related post-secondary Degree preferred.
Current SMITH System Certificate is required. Environmental, Health & Safety professional designation preferred.
Must have comprehensive and current knowledge of federal, state, and local laws governing DOT rules and regulations as well as knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act regulation.
At least 5 years' experience as a licensed commercial driver (Class A) is also required as is an up-to-date Class A CDL license.
• Willing and able to travel frequently (75%), including driving to various facilities and air travel.
• Ability to work non-traditional hours including weekends and nights when most training will need to be presented and have flexible availability.
• Must have a valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record and background.
Republic National Distributing Company is an Equal Opportunity employer.