About The Position
Old Elk Distilleries is hiring for its production team. Are you passionate about bourbon? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment? Are you interested in joining a team and working from the ground up?
This position performs, monitors, and documents batch process operations in the mashing, fermenting, and distillation of spirits and whiskey manufacturing. This position requires above average verbal and written communication skills, math and science skills. Candidate must have a thorough knowledge of production operations, have solid organization skills and be detail oriented. Must be completely familiar with appropriate safety procedures such as PPE use, confined space entry and hazard communications requirements. Must have a strong mechanical background, be goal and objective oriented, and be able to work cohesively as a team. Must be able to work effectively with all levels of personnel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Operating and maintaining all aspects of mashing, cooling, yeast handling, and fermentation.
· Batching raw materials including weighing, mixing and the processing of all ingredients within a very specific order, quantity, and time.
· Collects samples of product for testing and quality verification.
· Operating multiple distillation units, taking samples at specific times and temperatures to measure for quality of spirit.
· Continually monitors and adjusts working parameters of stills to ensure proper operation and timely turnaround.
· Performs cutting of finished spirit.
· Weigh barrels, fill with spirit, locate to storage areas and document spirit inventory data.
· Performs CIP operations on tanks, lines, heat exchangers, and other equipment while following all appropriate quality, PPE and safety procedures.
· Responsible for personal safety and the safety of others.
· Responsible to inform supervision of any existing safety issue, process deviation, product loss, unplanned outage or unexpected environmental discharge.
· Maintains a high regard for the quality of the product produced and the work performed.
· Responsible for accurate documentation and recording throughout the production process.
· Responsible for the maintenance of all tanks, pumps, valves and other process equipment in assigned area of responsibility.
· Maintains sanitation in area of responsibility and follows all SOP’s.
· Able to safely operate a forklift for unloading and staging materials.
· Performs all other duties as assigned or required by the supervisor.
· Minimum High School diploma, actively pursuing/ obtained College degree in Sciences or Industrial Technology is highly preferred.
· 1-3 years production brewing/distilling/wine making experience highly preferred.
· Production maintenance background, knowledge of equipment operation and reliability.
· Strong mechanical ability with problem solving/troubleshooting skills.
· Good organizational skills, ability to multi-task and provide accurate documentation.
· Ability to follow direction, work independently and be a team player supporting business operations.
· Proper use of PPE and Safe chemical handling knowledge is required.
Typical Working Environment:
This position works entirely in a production environment. Rotational shift work is required and willingness to work weekends when requested. Noise, dust, and variable temperature and use of production chemicals are also typical in this work environment. May be required to work in confined spaces.
Compensation and Benefits:
The pay range for this position is $16 to $22 per hour. This is a full-time position and includes the full Old Elk Distilleries benefit package: health, dental, vision coverage, life insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, 401(k) plan with an employer match, paid time off (PTO), and Colorado Sick Leave.