About The Position
Are you looking to learn skills in ancient fermentation and be a part of something special? North American Sake Brewery, Virginia’s first and only sake brewery, is looking for a Production Lead to help create delicious and beautiful sake.
The Production Lead will work closely with the Head Brewer to oversee production and keep all aspects of the brewery running smoothly. Hands-on training in the art and science of sake brewing will be provided, but the Production Lead must have technical brewing experience and be comfortable with foundational brewing tasks and responsibilities. The Production Lead will be given a high level of responsibility, autonomy, and ability to grow with the continued success of our award-winning sake. A passion for fermentation, forecasting and planning skills, ability to overcome challenges, an engineering mind, great communication skills, and a can-do attitude will be keys to success for this leadership role.
This is an incredible opportunity for someone of high professional integrity who wants to be part of a rapidly growing organization and gain valuable experience in a fun, friendly, and collaborative environment.
The Production Lead will work side by side with the Owner and Head Brewer to create a variety of high quality sakes to meet production and distribution demands.
Sake Production Includes:
- Sake making, which includes steaming rice, making koji, monitoring fermentation, pressing, transferring, cleaning, and bottling
- Forecasting production and scheduling multiple batches to meet demand with the sales and tasting room teams
- Managing ingredients and inventory
- Developing/improving recipes and creating new products with head brewer
- Overseeing part-time workers to help when needed
- Quality control and product testing
- Keeping all equipment maintained and in good working order
- Assisting in the improvement or upgrade of systems
- Developing and improving SOPs
- Cleaning of brewery and equipment
- Organizing storage
- Ordering inventory, tracking, and managing shipments
- Managing vendor relationships
- Record keeping of brewing functions
- Aligning with government regulations including formula and label approval
To be considered for the position, an applicant should be:
- A hard worker who is willing to jump in in order to get a job done
- A self-starter with good problem-solving and organizational skills
- Detail-oriented, with the ability to work independently or as a team
- Able to set and communicate clear, mission-aligned goals and monitor progress
- Able to manage a flexible daily schedule with the ability to shift hours to meet production needs
- Familiar with standard cleaning and sanitation procedures
- Able to perform additional duties and responsibilities as requested, directed, or assigned by management
- Entrepreneurially-minded with a passion for the product and a results-oriented personality
- Must reside in or around Charlottesville, Va, be willing to relocate, or able to travel to Charlottesville daily
- 2-5 years of experience working in a brewery or adjacent field with a record of success
- 21 years of age or older
- Proficient in Microsoft software programs Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Valid, unrestricted state driver's license and good DMV record
- Maintain sobriety and professionalism
- A sense of humor preferred
- Ability to work special events/functions
- Required to lift and move 50 pound bags of rice and cases of product
NAS is an equal opportunity employer, welcoming applicants from all backgrounds and celebrating diversity and inclusion.