About The Position
• Job security working for a NZ Government Agency in America
• Progressive flexible working environment
• A diverse and inclusive environment that values lifelong learning opportunities
• We are focused on holistic wellbeing to support you to be your best self
This role is based in Santa Monica, Los Angeles.
Use your commercial smarts and networks to help New Zealand businesses grow bigger, better, faster in the U.S.
Who we are: Ko Te Taurapa Tūhono tēnei
New Zealand Trade and Enterprise (NZTE) is New Zealand's international business development agency. We are a hands-on, collaborative, and commercially focused team, working with some of New Zealand's most forward-thinking and innovative companies.
We offer a fun and stimulating office environment with a unique opportunity to develop and access world-class business networks and work with a talented, diverse, international team. We have a flexible working policy that we ensure works for you, us, and your team, and you will have the chance to participate in global projects to support your professional growth.
What you’ll be doing: Te whakamahere
You will know what it takes to successfully go-to-market and build a food business in the U.S. You will be comfortable leveraging your commercial experience and networks and using financials and data to guide, support, and ultimately grow a portfolio of up to 30 companies. You will be working with founders and executives of some of the best food (and sometimes petfood) products that New Zealand has to offer.
This role is for a Food generalist. As such, you will be an independent thinker who has built significant commercial experience across multiple categories and channels over your career. As a confident self-starter, identifying and building new relationships and networks comes naturally to you, and you will have well-developed listening, influencing, and communication skills.
What you’ll need to be successful: Ō Pūkenga
You will be someone with at least eight years of experience supporting food businesses to succeed in the U.S. market. You will be comfortable helping guide them through retail strategies (including eCommerce), as well as foodservice and/or Pet food, which may mean learning new industry knowledge and networks, so having a growth mindset is essential.
Ideally you will also bring:
· Experience and knowledge of the US food industry, working either as a consultant, buyer, distributor or on the brand side. Ideally, you will have first-hand experience taking premium (and often natural) products to market, across multiple channels.
· Experience across a wide variety of disciplines, including sales, vendor relationships, pricing, strategy, marketing, and consultancy will give you an advantage.
· Small business experience, so you understand the entrepreneurial mindset.
· A solid understanding of business models and establishing and growing a successful food business in the U.S., regardless of the product/vertical.
· A finger on the pulse for what is current and innovative and the ability to hustle to find information and build networks when you do not already have them.
· A willingness to mentor, coach, advise, and roll up your sleeves to do whatever it takes to problem-solve and get things done for our clients. You will have a bias for action while still being a superb team player.
· As an added bonus, you will have some knowledge of the petfood industry, or a willingness to learn.
Why you’ll love working here: Nau mai ki Te Taurapa Tūhono
NZTE is an organization driven by and purpose – we make things bigger, better and faster. We’re a public service organization that deeply cares for our team and support them with flexible working options, technology, development opportunities and wrap around support so that you can bring your whole self to work.
We are an ambitious team who expect greatness of ourselves. Our environment encourages experimentation and constant learning, having brave conversations, intellectual challenge and absolute honesty. We keep promises and honor commitments and We celebrate the mana (strength and dignity) of each other as being equal to or greater than our own.
What’s next: Te ara ki tua
This is a unique opportunity where you will work alongside a talented, inclusive, diverse, international team.
Do you think you have what it takes? Then we want to hear from you. Please check out the position description and apply now! This vacancy closes Monday 24 January 2022 5pm PST. Note you must be a U.S. citizen or hold a Green Card to apply for this role.
Note, this role is called Business Development Manager (BDM) F&B internally.
We believe New Zealand is good for the World. New Zealand Trade and Enterprise (NZTE) is an equal opportunity employer. At NZTE it is all about our people and we seek diversity of though; we welcome and encourage you to apply regardless of ethnicity, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, neurodiversity or disability. If we need to make specific accommodations in any part of the interview process, please note this in your application or discuss with the Talent Acquisition Specialist.