About The Position
REMOTE WORK • CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES
Research • Consumer Affairs • Government Affairs
Attention researchers and policy people! Do you enjoy reading scientific journals and government documents and translating that information into language more people can understand? Do you believe an environmentally regenerative and socially just food system is possible and want to be part of the movement to build it? Would you like to apply your eye for detail and organization skills to support grassroots, community-owned grocery stores?
This position will research and provide information and program support to NCG staff, food co-ops and their consumers on complex issues relevant to the natural and organic food co-op sector, including food systems, social and environmental issues, related legislation and other areas of consumer concern. They will join a small, collaborative team where they will be invited to share their unique perspective to help inform strategy and inclusive program development, learn from each other and grow.
This is an ideal position for an innately curious person who wants to have a direct impact on the success of food co-ops and their communities’ goals for a more regenerative and just food system. This position may be based out of NCG’s St. Paul, MN office but is eligible for a home office anywhere in the continental U.S. Up to 10% travel required including overnights and weekends. People who can contribute to NCG’s diversity of lived experiences and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
- Research, summarize and share information on complex subjects related to sustainable food systems, racial equity and food justice, food ingredients, food packaging, climate change, cooperatives, emerging social and environmental issues, related legislation and other areas of consumer concern.
- Assist with auditing, reviewing and updating information across media platforms, fact-checking and providing credible sources as appropriate.
- Work with staff to collect and assimilate data from co-ops, their communities and Congressional representation to inform program development and policy advocacy.
- Keep current with industry, government and partner communications, including summarizing and reporting on e-newsletters, webinars, legislative text, regulations, and scientific literature.
- Track all advocacy and sustainability related communications and measure audience engagement.
- Minimum two years work, post-secondary academic or volunteer experience conducting research, fact-checking and identifying credible sources of information required.
- Minimum one year work or volunteer experience advocating for social or environmental policy change or grassroots initiatives required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in political or biological sciences, library science, research, journalism, public affairs or related field is a plus, but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a bipartisan manner, exercising objectivity to meet organizational goals, which may diverge from personal political opinions.
- Work or volunteer experience collaborating with racially diverse teams, groups or organizations a plus.
Apply By: July 17, 2022
Benefits, benefits, benefits! Our team members are our most-valued asset; we offer a generous salary and benefits package including 4 weeks PTO at hire, medical, dental, vision, company paid Life/ Disability/ Long Term Care insurance, HSA/FSA with company contribution, a matching 401K plan with profit sharing and much, much more. The expected salary range for this position is $60-$80,000.
We are a learning organization on a continuous journey to build a positive and inclusive culture that values a diversity of ideas, perspectives and identities. We foster an environment where everyone is treated with dignity and respect, where we are inspired by our work and proud of our contributions.
Individuals with Disabilities - National Co+op Grocers wants all interested and qualified candidates to be able to use this career site to review and apply for employment opportunities. If you have a disability and need an accommodation to access this site, please contact us for assistance at (866) 709-2667 ext. 2992.
Equal Opportunity - National Co+op Grocers is an equal opportunity employer. We hire qualified individuals without regard to age, race, color, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, status with regard to public assistance, pregnancy, physical/sensory/mental disability, genetic disposition, veteran or military status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, arrest or conviction record, or any other protected category in accordance with applicable laws.
National Co+op Grocers (NCG), founded in 1999, is a business services cooperative for retail food co-ops located throughout the United States. We represent 148 food co-ops operating over 200 stores in 38 states with combined annual sales over $2.4 billion and over 1.3 million consumer-owners. NCG helps unify natural food co-ops in order to optimize operational and marketing resources, strengthen purchasing power, and ultimately offer more value to natural food co-op owners and shoppers everywhere. By providing a variety of purchasing, management, development, marketing and other services, our co-ops are able to gain many of the advantages large grocery chains enjoy, while still reflecting the unique qualities of their local communities. For a map of NCG member and associate co-ops, visit our Find-a-Co-op
page. To learn more about co-ops, visit www.grocery.coop
.No recruiters or agencies please.