Hiram Walker & Sons
SupplierView Full Profile
About The Position
Hiram Walker & Sons Limited, a Pernod Ricard Company, is the place where ambition thrives. As part of a global enterprise, we are proud to be delivering the market such exciting brands as Wiser's Whisky, Polar Ice Vodka, Malibu Rum, and Lamb's rum. Let your ambition lead you toward outstanding opportunities with progressive rewards. For insight on our heritage please click
Responsible for Canada-wide tax administration including tax compliance, tax accounting and tax reporting. Participates in tax planning for the Canadian group of companies.
Taxation responsibilities include corporate tax (income, capital etc.) value-added tax, payroll/benefits and other taxes as appropriate. The position is also responsible for all financial accounting and reporting for tax including IFRS.
- OHSA - Ensure compliance of Occupational Health & Safety Act (section 25, 26, 27, and 28) per Hiram Walker & Son’s Ltd Policy- Management-Supervision-Worker Safety Responsibilities.
- Prepares and provides analysis for all tax reporting for both parent company and public reporting purposes.
- Prepares accounting summaries and documentation for current and future Income Tax under IFRS for all Canadian companies.
- Coordination and assistance in tax return preparation (partially outsourced) and compliance in all jurisdictions in which the company operates on a timely basis and in accordance with company policy and jurisdictional legislation.
- Prepares various tax returns for all companies of group that are not outsourced.
- Maintenance of all balance sheet tax accounts, including installment calculations and accounting, reconciliation of tax provision to tax returns.
- Proper documentation of tax accounting and compliance processes for continuous improvement and internal audit purposes.
- Cash tax forecasting and planning as required.
- Manage and liaise with government tax auditors and tax authorities as required.
- Manage and liaise with external auditors related to the year-end audit and quarterly review of financial statements.
- Participate in tax department projects, including process improvement, opportunities to manage the effective tax rate with the involvement and those involving other departments or business units.
- Prepares tax budgets for reporting to parent company.
- Respond to ad hoc requests from the finance department.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Sound knowledge and experience in tax accounting under IFRS, tax compliance and tax control processes.
- A tax professional with a minimum of 2-4 years’ experience in tax compliance and planning, preferably in a multi-national setting
- Preferred experience will have been gained in an international commercial environment public accounting firm.
- Above average in Excel.
- Exposure to a JDE environment an asset.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex issues, gain consensus and recommend effective, creative solutions.
- Analysis and interpretation skills (ability to see and share the big picture) with strong attention to detail and organization.
- Ability to establish relationships, possessing strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to foster collaboration with various business units.
- A disciplined, enthusiastic, bright, quick learner who is able to interact across all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work under own initiative, with minimal direct supervision.
- Commitment to the highest level of business integrity and ethics.
Reporting & Analysis
- Identifies the impact of key levers on financial performance
- Presents financial reports to the different internal stakeholders, providing explanations of variances and gaps
- Uses reporting tools and software at an advanced level (e.g. ERP’s, advanced Excel, DB tools, etc.); and creates new reports under guidance
- Develops basic financial modeling to run simulations (e.g. pricing, discounted cash flows, etc.) and budget scenarios
Financial Accounting & Consolidation
- Translates business transactions (e.g.: revenue, CAPEX and operating expenditure and cash) into consolidated financial statements and provides clear explanations to non-financial stakeholders
- Ensures the integrity, reliability and compliance of accounting entries with accounting policies, liaising with other functions
- Understands both local and Pernod Ricard accounting guidelines
- Understands external audits objectives and constraints and formulates appropriate answers
- Identifies accounting process inefficiencies and suggests improvements
- Handles tax control and litigation, liaising with local tax authorities
- Coordinates the implementation of Group tax strategy
- Analyses business facts and implements alternative tax schemes
- Manages tax planning, optimizing the amount of taxable income and of tax deductions
- Monitors tax environment changes, understands their implications and makes recommendations accordingly
Legal for Finance
- Has a basic understanding of relevant laws and regulations within the scope of his/her role
- Identifies legal issues and escalates as required to relevant experts
- Informs / explains to other parties related issues
Risk Management & Internal Control
- Understands the key concepts of risk management (identification, assessment including frameworks, mitigation)
- Identifies basic business risks related to his/her job
- Identifies inconsistency in basic internal controls (e.g.: accountability) of his/her scope
- Understands and applies internal control procedures and basic control processes (e.g.: reconciliation, segregation of tasks) in his/her scope
Cash Management & Financing
- Knows key Finance and Treasury concepts (treasury management, banking services and conditions, balance sheet & cash-flow statement, key financial ratios)
- Understands KPIs for the Treasury processes (rotation ratio, Working Capital Needs…) and key drivers of operational cash flows
- Understands and uses Pernod Ricard Tools (netting, cash pooling…) or local Treasury Tools (electronic Bank)
- Understands the impact of business activities on cash flows
Process & Information Systems
- Understands and uses properly the standard functionalities of systems required in his/her working area
- Understands and complies with processes and workflows of his/her working area
- Identifies inefficiency and inconsistency in processes and systems and informs relevant parties (line managers, key users, IT department)
Relationship Building & Communication
- Proactively communicates across departments in order to improve cooperation
- Takes into account other people’s perspectives, in order to build trusting relationships
- Builds quality relationships, understanding organization and individual issues, through strong interpersonal skills
- Identifies potential conflicts and escalates them to the appropriate level
- Is comfortable dealing with people at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrates general awareness of the Business Environment
- Understands the key drivers and challenges of the company
- Has a basic knowledge of local organizational structures and functions
- Proposes new ideas/methods on how to improve performance
- Maintains a positive, can-do attitude even during difficult times
- Influences others to gain support for an idea or cause
- Assigns tasks and accountabilities for work outputs to the most appropriate individuals, when needed
- Displays a sense of urgency in accomplishing goals and takes corrective actions to ensure results
- Maintains composure and high performance standards in a challenging environment
- Achieves own individuals objectives, applying professional excellence standards, and delivers high quality work
Live the Values
- Maintains high professional standards that are aligned with the organization’s values, ethics, and Charter
- Demonstrates commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) priorities by promoting group and local initiatives
- Establishes a mutual trust environment by communicating in an honest, straight forward transparent manner with colleagues at all levels
- Displays enthusiasm and values contribution of each employee to the success of Pernod Ricard
Required: University Degree plus CGA Designation
Preferred: University degree plus CMA, CA Designation
We welcome and encourage applications from individuals from all groups, including aboriginal, women, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities, regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, creed, family status, national origin, age and gender.
Hiram Walker & Sons Ltd. is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodation during any phase of the recruitment process or wish to view our accommodation policies, please contact the Human Resources Department at Accessibilty.Canada@pernod-ricard.com
Thank you for your interest in Pernod Ricard and its subsidiaries, Corby Spirit and Wine Limited and Hiram Walker & Sons Ltd. All resumes submitted will be reviewed by our recruitment team and kept on file for six months in consideration for this and future opportunities. Please note that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Please do not contact provincial offices directly as all recruitment is coordinated through the Corporate Office in Toronto.