About The Position
The New Product Development Project Manager will lead and manage all processes related to new product development for GEM's real food bites and algae research projects. An exciting opportunity to own GEM's R+D process from start to finish!
GEM (dailygem.co) is a consumer life science company pioneering new applications for human and planetary health.
GEM has nurtured an ecosystem of thousands of humans across the US who believe in nourishing differently. We are a kaleidoscopic team of driven, passionate, curious, collaborative humans who all love to test & learn and challenge the status quo. We're looking to build an incredible team of people who are excited to take part in our mission to democratize better solutions for our collective health.
Reporting to the COO, the New Product Development Project Manager will lead and manage all processes related to new product development for GEM's real food bites and algae research projects. This is an exciting opportunity to own GEM's R+D process from start to finish: from refining the process itself, to onboarding and managing product developers and scientists, researching and sampling GEM-aligned ingredients, overseeing bench top sampling and piloting, and getting it all the way through the finish line to launch. There are a ton of little and big details to manage with a project of this scope, and you do it all with ease (and a really good GANTT chart to back you up). This role requires strong project management, problem-solving and influence management skills and experience leading projects of moderate scope and complexity in a fast-paced global supply chain that is part of a dynamic startup org.
You will love this job if you have an obsessive attention to detail, are resourceful and excited to solve complex problems, are a clear and robust communicator, and are able to translate sometimes abstract concepts into orderly next steps. You will need strategic thinking and methodical execution. This role offers an exciting opportunity to create impact for humankind.
Who You Are:
- You handle chaos, ambiguity, and complexity in a detailed, organized way and love to manage projects end to end
- You love operating in the minute details of a project with an eye kept on the long-term strategic vision
- You have a background in nutrition or a strong passion for health + wellness and you stay on top of trends in the market.
- You are a strong communicator - people describe you as clear, concise, and thorough
- You feel connected to GEM’s mission and desire to be part of a small but mighty team where you can see and feel the impact of your work
What You’ll Do:
- Work directly with the leadership team to define the scope of work and plan for each new product
- Manage each new product from ideation to execution including scoping out deliverables, requirements gathering, development, execution and quality assurance
- Own scheduling for project kick off meetings and facilitate regular internal review meetings to proactively identify, communicate and elevate risk mitigation efforts with key stakeholders
- Engage with and manage external partners as needed to support the NPD process (product developers, scientists, testing labs, packaging suppliers, transportation providers and more)
- Ensure R+D documents are tracked, integrated, updated, and intuitively organized in Google Drive. Capture weekly progress to ensure Drive is up-to-date and always ready for diligence
- Facilitate and manage all communication between internal team members and methodically organize weekly progress across all R+D into action items and priorities for integration into Asana
- Proactively tackle potential questions, delays or conflicts and communicate status updates to the COO and Procurement + Ops Manager
- Support the process to source, quality and onboard new vendors
- Implement tools and technology to create cross-functional transparency in the NPD process and drive Technical Readiness
- Track projects through the workflow process and update across the team in relation to meeting deadlines and next steps
- Coordinate with Operations, Finance and Marketing teams to align new launch forecasts
- Own / support master data management for new items
- Provide on-site support as-needed for pilot and first production runs
- Manage ad hoc "what if" analyses on new products
- BA/BS in business/supply chain management/industrial engineering or related field
- Expert level knowledge in Asana, Excel and other project management tools
- Strong understanding of NPD / timeline management process
- Six Sigma and food manufacturing experience preferred
- Experience overseeing projects as a part of a small team with aggressive timelines, ideally within the food/wellness world or an adjacent field
- Experience managing and streamlining processes within research, operations and leadership teams
- Natural curiosity and growth mindset, obsession with the details
- Proven experience delivering results
Benefits at GEM:
- Medical (the base plan is 100% covered by GEM), dental and vision insurance plans, and free membership to One Medical
- Remote Work Friendly
- Flexible PTO policy
- Complimentary GEM subscription and discounts for friends and family
- Monthly Lunch and Learns, Monthly Happy Hours, and Quarterly team building off-sites (when permitted)
- A collaborative and passionate team invested in your professional and personal growth
GEM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.