About the role Gainful is changing the way people shop for nutrition products to support their active lifestyle and help them achieve their fitness goals. Launched in 2017, Gainful is backed by some of the world's best venture investors (including Y Combinator, Dorm Room Fund, BrandProject, Courtside VC, Technogym, AF Ventures, and Round13 Capital). Gainful combines personalization with the highest quality ingredients to make sports nutrition accessible for every body. Our first 3 products are Personalized Protein Powder, Hydration, and Pre-Workout and we recently released performance boosts (collagen, fiber and creatine). Job Description:
Gainful is looking for a talented Senior Product Designer
to join the team. In this role, you will ensure our customers are treated with a world-class digital experience by interpreting and advocating for their needs. You're a creative thinker who can effectively communicate your ideas and continuously collaborate with the senior product manager and engineers to continually innovate at various stages of product conceptualization and design strategy. This experience-minded, collaborative and forward-thinking creative problem solver will deliver design solutions and experiences that positively impact the business and delight our customers.
You will create and oversee detailed user experience design solutions, prototyping, feature lists, and testing ideas with real users, providing interaction and visual direction from definition to specification. The right candidate will be also focused on telling a cohesive and compelling brand story through their designs, and be comfortable with rapid iteration.
The ideal candidate is in New York but remote applications will be considered. Responsibilities:
- Create simple, effective and elegant web experiences that wow our customers whilst meeting business goals.
- Deliver across the full end of the spectrum of product design responsibilities, from early research to ensuring the final build matches your visual designs
- Lead, define and communicate the UX direction using appropriate tools to describe intent. This includes: sketches, workflows, wireframes, interaction specifications
- Collaborate with product management, brand designers, marketers, retention, growth, and engineerings - apply design principles and user-centred design methodologies to create a great experience for Gainful customers
- Interpret Gainful customer needs into effective and thoughtful product solutions
- Proactively identify design opportunities that enhance the customer experience and ecommerce KPIs
- Conduct competitive analysis and general research across different digital platforms and make recommendations for creative, impactful design solutions.
- Inform user-centred design solutions by conducting competitive analysis, reviewing analytics, interviewing users and running user tests
- Effectively present to and discuss solutions with stakeholders
- Develop rich and engaging interactives to convey product benefits
- Design solutions that drive measurable business objectives
- Bring inspiring ideas into an energetic and collaborative team in a start-up face-paced environment
- 3-6 years of product design experience
- Degree in a design related field
- Expertise with standard design tools such as Sketch and Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop), Lightroom, Abstract
- Experience with prototyping tools such as InVision, Figma, and Principle (or others)
- Proven experience leading "design thinking" and user-centred design practices across multiple functional disciplines
- A great online portfolio which demonstrates problem-solving in the various phases of user-centered design
- Passion for end-to-end Product Design. You know how to craft experiences that feel good, look good, and address user needs
- A love for simple user flows, information hierarchy, interaction design, visual design and usability heuristics
- Respect for balancing quantitative as well as qualitative data alongside empathy as a driver for innovative, user-centric solutions.
- Experience with user research such as surveys, interviews, and usability testing (experience with usertesting.com required)
- Background in designing for mobile-first platforms - understanding best practices, design patterns, technical limitations
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to think about high-level product vision, understand how to effectively balance user needs, business objectives, and technical constraints
Working at Gainful: Location:
- Interest or experience in nutrition, wellness, fitness, or food/bev.
- Experience at a high-growth startup, especially direct-to-consumer subscription.
HQ office at 6 W 18th St, New York, NY 10011
- Hybrid in-office (~3 days/week) and work from home (~2 days/week)
- Full remote work situations will be considered
Full time, unlimited PTO Pay:
competitive salary + equity Health Insurance:
For obvious reasons, having a healthy team is incredibly important to us. For that reason, Gainful offers best-in-class health insurance.
Medical: Your choice between 6 Aetna plans (some of which are HSA eligible). Gainful covers the full cost of the two plans with lowest premiums. Gainful also covers 50% of dependents for all plans.
Dental: Your choice between Aetna 3 Low Dental PPO (Gainful covers full premium, employee pays $0) or Aetna 1 High Dental PPO+ plan.
Vision: Your choice between Aetna Vision Preferred (Gainful covers full premium, employee pays $0) or Aetna Vision+ Preferred. Pre-tax benefits
- Health FSA
- Dependent Care FSA
12 weeks paid leave + 0 weeks unpaid leave (mothers & fathers). Parental paid leave may be taken at any point in the first 12 months after a child is born. Visa sponsorship:
Not available in most cases Perks:
- Free snacks/beverages
- Unlimited Gainful product & swag
- Macbook Pro and whatever tools you need to do your job
Gainful is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Come as you are :)Why you should join Gainful
Gainful is performance nutrition that unlocks your full potential. We provide personalized products and 1:1 Registered Dietitian support to empower active people to reach their unique goals by transforming their health.
Founded in 2017, Gainful is backed by some of the world's best venture investors (including Y Combinator, BrandProject, and Courtside VC). Our current products are Personalized Protein, Personalized Hydration, Personalized Pre-Workout, and our line of Performance Boosts (Collagen, Creatine, and Fiber).