Dole Packaged Foods is a purpose led health and wellness organization that "champions a more equitable world." A world where everyone has the right to nutrition from the goodness of the earth and we reduce these gaps, one action at a time.
The Safety Coordinator is responsible for working with leadership to create an environment where associates can complete their work safely. This is achieved by establishing safety standards for the workplace which are based on regulatory requirements. Safety Coordinator will work with the leadership team to plan, implement and oversee programs, policies and training which establishes a safety-first culture. Safety Coordinator will report to the Safety Manager who is located at our Atwater, CA facility and will have a dotted line to the Operations Manager on site.
The Safety Coordinator must be available to work any shift, any day of the week, as assigned. Overtime this person may be required in an emergency situation at any given time and may be required in the event of a working emergency or at other times of need as determined by the Safety Manager. Responsibilities
Qualifications Experience, Knowledge, & Skills You Bring:
- Attend staff and professional meetings when requested
- Schedule staff and professional meetings via Outlook when required
- Act as Safety Department representative and resources when needed for all departments
- Autonomously lead safety projects upon Safety Manager or Operations Manager request
- Lead safety presentations to management and employee groups when required
- Schedule, plan and conduct required workplace safety audits
- Complete and distribute audit findings
- Conduct monthly required checks of emergency equipment if required
- Plan and conduct safety training and exercises
- Assist in the planning and conduct of required drills and other safety activities
- Assist in the implementation of the company safety programs and policies
- Investigate & provide any additional written documentation for incidents when needed
- Act as direct point of contact for Regulatory visits and/or 3rd party audits
- Collaborate with any department post incident for effective hazard control methods
- Accurate and timely record keeping of Incident data, charts and logs
- Organize and file safety related documentation in a timely manner
- Train powered industrial lift and aerial lift safety courses
- Ongoing development of safety knowledge by research and self-continuous improvement
- Lead at all times by strictly following all company policies and safety and food safety procedures
- Adjust schedule as necessary for any safety related activities
- Assist the HR Department in any ongoing investigatory needs related to safety
- Assist the Risk Manager when necessary for follow up items related to safety
- Assist the Security Officers when necessary for follow up items related to the Safety and Security of all Associates
- Other duties as assigned
What You'll Need to Succeed:
- Experience in a manufacturing environment
- Reliable knowledge and research capabilities for Fed & State Occupational Health & Safety regulations
- Experience in dealing with regulatory agencies
- Ability to document legibly and thoroughly
- Proficient in use of standard office equipment and processes
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications: Word, Outlook, Power Point & Excel
- Ability to train large groups when necessary
- Ability to create training material if/when requested for Safety applications
- Must be willing to investigate all incidents regardless of type, including injuries, if necessary
- Incident investigation experience and root cause analysis ability
- General knowledge of safety principles is a must and the ability to teach these core principles to all associates, regardless of company status is a mandatory position requirement
- Excellent organizational skills
Education & Certification:
- Passionate about a purpose driven career
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Team player
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- A minimum of five (5) years Safety or EHS experience required
- High School Diploma required
- Must possess a valid Driver's License
- Bachelor's Degree preferred (in a Safety or EHS related field a plus)
- Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety 10-hour course and 30-hour course a plus
- First Aid and Adult CPR current certification preferred and/or obtain Adult First Aid and Adult CPR certification within 90 days of hire
- Must be able to climb stairs
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, crawl
- Requires use of hands to grasp, push, pull, reach overhead etc.
- Ability to occasionally sit and use the computer for extended periods of time; ability to answer phones and use a variety of office equipment.
- Ability to walk or stand for prolonged periods during audits, inspections, etc. throughout facility
- This position will require the successful passing of a Medical/Employee Health Department evaluation
- This position will work in a combination office & industrial plant environment with related noise and temperatures and will also require work in an outside environment on an as-needed basis.
- May be required to work in adverse weather conditions.
- This position will require working in an industrial setting in close proximity to industrial equipment and machinery. Must be able to work safely near moving parts, machines and equipment to perform audits and trainings.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
- Occasional travel required