About The Position
The District Manager is a key position that serves as main point of contact at the local level for our distributors and key retailers. Accountable for the implementation of approved business plans and tactics in specific territory.
Key Job Functions:
1) Wholesaler Management & Planning
o Maintain regular call frequency with wholesalers as assigned by Zone Manager.
o Develop local market plans to meet sales objectives driven by Zone Manager.
o Drive support of Yuengling objectives with distributor management and sales team for stated Yuengling sales objectives.
o Provide direction and support to assigned distributors, managing retail execution plans, and activities for assigned markets.
o Ensure wholesalers maintain adequate product inventory levels and demonstrate proper inventory rotation within Yuengling guidelines.
o Conduct trimester reviews against the Annual Business Plan. May include: distribution progress, YTD sales volume, pricing benchmarks and price surveys, execution opportunities, competitive activity, top retailer and chain volume trends, and co-op budget spending. Corrective action plans may be formulated if necessary.
o Ensure alignment with DGY direction on co-op budget allocations as driven down by Sales Leadership Team.
o Maintain regular call frequency with assigned retailers at on and off premise call points, and retail field sales managers as assigned by Zone Manager.
o 3-4 days per week targeted at retail monitoring and driving improved execution against key objectives for DGY portfolio and brands.
o Focus against modeling and improving execution of DGY brands in top volume independent and chain retail accounts.
o Identify and develop programs for underperforming packages.
o Help develop annual distribution targets by brand and by package for all wholesalers to be submitted to Zone Manager.
o Create account target list by wholesaler for key packages in order to improve distribution and generate new business for the brewery.
o Submit distribution progress reports as assigned by Zone Manager.
o Reinforce DGY distribution, shelf set, and merchandising standards as driven down from Region Sales Director and Zone Manager.
o Manage and direct the local sampling plan of DGY portfolio of brands through interaction with consumers and retailers at local retail samplings, retail work-with’s, special events, trade shows, etc.
o Establish an annual point-of-sale budget with each wholesaler to be approved by Zone Manager.
o Monitor trimester wholesaler point-of-sale spending versus budget.
o Manage and supervise the allocation of all point-of-sale materials with assigned distributors.
o Identify and ensure distributor support material is adequately maintained on a monthly basis.
o Engage point-of-sale commitments and encourage merchandising efforts while in retail trade.
o Regularly assemble and position point-of-sale in key areas when at retail.
o Conduct sales meeting presentations with regular frequency to assigned distributor sales team as outlined in direction and in accordance with specifics driven down by Region Sales Director and Zone Manager.
o Conduct regular planning meetings with assigned distributor sales management team in accordance with direction and specifics of DGY sales objectives driven down by Zone Manager and Region Sales Director.
o Communicate clearly internally, both in written and verbal formats, to all key cross functional teams starting with the National and Chain Account Managers and also including Marketing, and Brewery Operations teams.
o Disciplined focus on providing written recaps of all meetings, retail days, progress against objectives, co-op budget balances, and any other business or execution opportunities in the market.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsibly manage annual co-op budgets with distributors in compliance with all DGY policies and procedures.
- Responsibly manage annual travel and expense budget in compliance with DGY’s Travel and Expense Policy Guidelines.
- Treat all DGY resources in a very responsible manner that would be representative of how you would treat your own.
- Maintain accurate records of current market pricing for DGY products and competition. Must maintain and update along with an updated wholesaler file of current Yuengling price to retailer by package.
- Communicate current pricing information to DGY Management & DGY Pricing and Revenue Optimization Manager.
- Conduct price surveys with each distributor or specified chain and channel of trade. Compare Yuengling package pricing versus defined competitive set. Provide survey if requested by DGY Pricing and Revenue Optimization Manager and timelines specified by Region Sales Director and Zone Manager.
- Work with DGY Management and DGY Pricing and Revenue Optimization Manager to initiate corrective action to improve Yuengling pricing in all on and off premise accounts.
- Initiate interaction with consumers and retailers that may have a quality control issue.
- Perform basic troubleshooting and corrective actions on draft beer systems.
- Manage distributor bill back process to ensure alignment with DGY policies and that invoices are being processed on a monthly basis for distributor partners.
1. Desire to build knowledge and skills.
2. Strong oral and written communication skills. Must be able to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; good listening skills; and strong group presentation skills.
3. Understanding of, and ability to perform, basic trade math as a part of doing business in a “fact-based” selling culture.
4. Ability to prioritize and plan work activities; attention to details; effective time management; set goals and objectives.
5. Follow instructions; respond appropriately to management direction; self-starter.
6. Take independent actions and calculated risks.
7. Display creativity and original thinking.
8. Embrace DGY culture and The Yuengling Way. Must be a team player and highly self-motivated.
9. Team player that is passionate about beer.
10. Valid driver’s license required with excellent driving record.
11. Highly self-motivated and ability to work both traditional business hours as well as non-traditional business hours including, at times, nights, weekends, and holidays as required.
12. Must be available for overnight travel for crew drives, meetings, trainings, and occasional weekend events or distributor and retailer entertainment.
13. Must have solid computer knowledge and skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, as well as specific applications such as VIP and Apple apps designed for DGY business purposes.
14. Must be able to lift, carry, push and/or pull up to 35 pounds.
15. May be asked to perform additional duties and responsibilities as requested, directed, or assigned by Zone Manager or Region Sales Director.
Required Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration and/or minimum of 5 years equivalent job experience are necessary.