At Danone, we believe that every time we eat or drink, we vote for the world we want. As a leading food and beverage company, we make healthy, sustainably-produced foods and beverages that nourish people's lives. Some of our brands include Dannon, Activia, Horizon Organic, International Delight, Silk, Oikos, So Delicious Dairy Free, Stok, Two Good, Vega, and Wallaby Organic . And as the largest Certified B Corporation® in the world, we are committed to redefining success in business to ensure that through our brands we create real benefits for people, our communities, and the planet.
With headquarters in Broomfield, CO and White Plains, NY, Danone North America has more than 6,000 employees across the U.S. and Canada, and more than a dozen manufacturing facilities across North America. Our employees enjoy competitive pay and industry-leading benefits (including flexible (unlimited) time off and up to 26 weeks paid parental leave), and share a common mission and culture committed to both business results and social purpose. When you join Danone North America, you become part of a global team that is inspiring a healthier world through food.
Danone North America is looking for aBrand Design Lead in White Plains.
You are a Design Geek, Branding Nerd and Creative Genius and all these qualities make you a Brand Design Ninja. You possess a real passion for brands and how they come to life through Design. You initiate and collaborate with a wide range of internal and external partners to foster an environment of shared creative collaboration and co-creation. Partnering with the Head of Design & Creative Director, you lead the design strategy, planning, direction and delivery of solutions that answer business challenges, and deliver on the emotional desires of consumers.
As a Brand Design Lead, you're the on-the-ground influencer for design culture and innovation across our cross-functional teams, and you get to persuade, plan and partner with brand marketing leaders to build brands consumers fall in love with at first sight.. You'll lead on various initiatives across brand, packaging, product and beyond, building brand design that can withstand and exist both digital and physical mediums. You'll lead from conception to execution, always walking towards creating and driving Danone North America's Brand Design highest standards.
Are you curious? Well, keep reading. Success in this position looks like...
- You have an impeccable sense of design and creative and how they drive brand building success. Your eyes can spot good design from miles away.
- You will build amazing collaborative relationships with team members across Strategy, Consumer Engagement, Content, Brand, Marketing, Research & Insights, and so on. You know this gig takes a village and a ton of strategic thinking. These relationships will be crucial in your delivery of our business priorities.
- You will co-create and refine design solutions that take into account an equal dose of creative inspiration and in-market reality, driving winning brand equities and bringing propositions to life.
- You will grow into a trusted Design Strategy expert, a partner-in-crime to your Brand and Marketing internal partners, someone who is always invited to the most critical meetings because anything successful simply must have your design thinking, empathy-driven, human-centered creative outlook married with the business needs.
- You are a resilient creative thinker, able to navigate high-pressure, fast-paced environments filled with ambiguity and uncertainty - you know that the expression "plans change" is part of the job.
- You care for outstanding creative and design strategy that helps our brands connect with consumers and do better in the world in a thoughtful and meaningful way, much more than you care about design awards and mentions in industry magazines.
- You employ an intrapreneur & pioneer mindset into your work ethic, staying curious along the way, seeing possibilities and doors where others see obstacles and limitations.
- You don't live on-the-fence: you have a point-of-view, grounded in strategic thinking and creative intuition (and you know creative intuition is that thing you build over years of experience, a great deals of fall-on-your-faces and tons of humbling learning moments).
- You welcome and thrive in creative debates, displaying confidence when exposing your point-of view while bringing humanity into every conversation you're part of.
Now, the specific responsibilities in this gig:
Skills and Experience you bring to the table:
- You lead major design projects, from brief co-development with our internal partners, success criteria definition, design team management. You partner with our internal project managers to ensure these are delivered on-time, on-budget, and that we don't miss any deliverables.
- Every day, you bring to life the Brand Design vision for Danone North America in small and big ways, delivering imaginative and conceptual thinking to advance and elevate our brands, utilizing design as a visualization tool, envisioning and creating business solutions while employing various strategic design methods - this is not a job with a set toolbox: we're building the box and you're expected to be a brilliant strategic thinker.
- You develop design vision, design architecture, portfolio strategy pillars, equity systems, drawing inspiration from design trends, grounding yourself on real consumer insights, and with a good dose of gut feel because creative isn't formulaic.
- You develop shelf-winning, pantry-or-fridge-pride-worthy packaging design that lives in the world you create - encapsulating in each packaging concept outstanding principles of shopability, relevance, navigability, uniqueness and purposefulness. You are able to zoom in each pack and zoom out into the set and world it lives in seamlessly, driving excellence when crafting such a pivotal brand touchpoint. You see it in 3D, how it sits in the world, how it goes from shelf to hands, and you take each point in the journey into account when thinking about solutions.
- Specifically, the Brand Design Lead leads: Brand Identity & Standards creation; Brand World development; Brand Design Pillar Strategy & Planning; Visual Equity(ies) Ecosystem development; Look/Tone/Feel Key Visuals, elements & applications; Packaging Design; Motion Language (identity core elements and how they exist in the world); Shape Language (pack & beyond); Photography Strategy & Principles; POS & Retail Experience design principles; UX/UI Design Strategy & Principles. Yes, the list is long and each of these items can double-click into many different pieces, but you get the concept: this is a position that is all about the entire world in which a brand expresses itself via Design.
- When developing design solutions, you go beyond the pack and demonstrate the design world possibilities, bringing the idea to life in ways that demonstrate the ways it can come to fruition. You are agile and able to anticipate future scenarios while crafting design architecture, planning and strategies that drive real in-market results.
- You inspire, direct, and motivate a team of highly talented creatives within our internal design team or within our external design agency partners. You are committed to building strong teams and partnerships, always leading by example.
- You work directly with and direct creative partners such as lettering artists, photographers and illustrators both on-set and through briefing and critiques, developing excellent pre-pro documents and creative briefing tools for creative-led conversations.
- You lead creative brainstorms, critique sessions and work sessions - both internally and externally - as a way to craft unique tools to solve the unique challenges at hand.
- You partner with Brand Elevation teams (Strategy, Content Studio and Consumer Engagement) to craft, drive and refine how our brands communicate in the world, crafting and refining their personality and point of view to consumers by seeing the holistic experience we deliver across all touchpoints. This means you own specific Brand Design initiatives and activities, but you participate very closely and contribute to initiatives such as brand positioning and architecture development, equity campaign creation, in-store activation toolkits, social media approaches, and so on.
- You negotiate the scope of work - internally or externally - based on clarity on the design brief, driving the conversations to pursue such clarity and anticipating project pivots and future strategic implications when doing so. You hold our brand marketing partners and cross-functional team members accountable to their role in the success of a project or initiative.
- Great sense of creativity and passion for design that makes brands shine in the real world
- Strong foundation in Brand Identity and Design with 6-10 years in a creative field, with a focus on design strategy, hands-on design, branding, advertising and/or marketing communications.
- 6+ years of experience in packaging design and/or consumer brand and packaged goods.
- Intimate knowledge of product and brand strategy.
- Food industry expertise desirable, but not a deal-breaker - we welcome diverse thinking!
- Killer presentation skills, ability to present our internal clients with tools, visual vocabulary and design vernacular that they can refer to in the future. You can make objects fly with your decks, your storytelling abilities and your persuasion, being able to make abstract concepts and ideas palpable to a non-creative audience.
- Excellent presentation, persuasion and communication skills. Whether the audience is internal, conference attendees, or a client, you can sell an idea clearly and confidently, influence senior levels in the organization and get things done through formal and informal channels.
- Design degree - but if you're a self-taught genius with an official degree in Biology but a strong journey in design and creative strategy, we still want to talk with you.
- Portfolio thinking demonstrated design expertise (strategy and execution).
- Right mix of right creativity and design in all of its forms with left brain problem-solving skills to complex challenges.
- A high level of visual literacy & understanding of typography, illustration, color theory, shape language and photography, as well as a deep understanding of copy, immersive storytelling. Motion and film background a plus, not a requirement.
- Mix of agency and in-house experience, DTC start-up experience a plus.
- Digital creative fluency - the design vision we build together lives across all mediums, both physical and digital, digital design experience is a plus.
- Strong experience in AB testing, human-centered design practices and methods.
- Stays on top of current on trends and cultural mindsets.
- Fluent in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop).
- Demonstrate project and budget management skills; Manage resources and report on project progress proactively.
- Demonstrate strong collaboration and communication skills to lead the multi-function project team
- Proven ability to influence management effectively.
Danone North America is a Certified B Corporation business unit of Danone and operates in the U.S. from headquarter offices inWhite Plains, NYandBroomfield, CO.For more information, please visit DanoneNorthAmerica.com
Danone North Americais an equal employment and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, genetic characteristic or any other unlawful criterion.http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdfhttps://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf