Retailer, Distributor, and Production and ManufacturingView Full Profile
Caliva is the California market leader in cannabis products as well as the #1 ranked dispensary in the U.S. in 2017. Caliva’s brick and mortar retail footprint continues to expand into new cities and is growing rapidly through our online pickup and delivery service. With a significant amount of newly acquired funding and explosive traction in the market, Caliva is building a world-class executive team to expand our retail presence far beyond California as we become the most trusted source in this rapidly evolving, brand new, regulated industry.
Caliva is looking for a highly motivated finance professional to lead our finance team and play a key role in our continued growth and achievement of operational excellence. The VP of Finance must possess an analytical mind, an ability to communicate complex ideas to senior business leaders, and a desire to make a meaningful impact on a dynamic, high-growth company.
The VP, Finance is a strategic thinker, possess a broad knowledge of all accounting, financial and business principles and guides the business to maximize revenues and profits while reducing risks. S/he oversees the financial health of the company including overlooking regular transactions, investments and any business dealings that affect the bottom line. The VP, Finance must possess an analytical mind, an ability to communicate complex ideas to executives and a desire to make a meaningful impact on a dynamic, high-growth company. S/he is extremely detail-oriented, well-organized, has the ability to multitask, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills and thrives in a fun, fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Embrace and demonstrate alignment with Caliva Values – Integrity, Positive Energy, Bias to Action, Connectedness, Truth Seeking
- Defines strategy for Financial Planning & Analysis, Tax, Risk Management, and Sales Support
- Oversees the annual budget preparation, gross profit analysis, and respective quarterly forecasts.
- Collaborates with external tax advisers to build tax strategy and ensure tax compliance
- Ensures development of internal KPI reporting processes to provide leadership with reporting and insight necessary to drive intelligent, sound decision-making
- Evaluates monthly and quarterly performance dashboards and analytics
- Evaluates monthly and quarterly financial results and KPIs against plan
- Oversees the company’s risk management strategy and insurance programs
- Collaborates with budget managers on their financial performance by developing appropriate tools and/or reports
- Recommends methods to improve and sustain profitability
- Reviews forecast volumes to improve unit economics and margins, and optimize inventory levels
- Collaborates with the wholesale sales team to support commission plans, quotas and sales performance
- Sets priorities in functional area that aligns with organization goals and in service of the continuous evolution of the function
- Strong knowledge of GAAP models.
- Background in Retail, CPG, Supply Chain, Inventory, or Manufacturing preferred.
- Advanced Excel, Tableau, and financial modeling experience.
- Ability to work independently and self-starter.
- Excellent analytical, project management, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Extremely detail oriented with an ability to multi-task in a high growth environment.
- Highly process driven and can manage projects across departments.
- Passion for working in a startup environment.
- Must have advanced critical thinking skills to define and resolve complex problems.
- Experience working with multiple legal entities a plus.
- Knowledge of large ERP systems a plus.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, or Economics required; advanced degrees or CFA a plus
- Minimum 10+ years professional work experience in financial management, accounting, or consulting.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers and filing cabinets.
Must be able to sit for extended periods of time, use hands and fingers for data entry for 8 hours or more, some lifting, squatting, bending, some pushing and pulling.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry.
- Must pass a background check with the San Jose Police Department.