About The Position
The Director of Packaging is responsible for developing the Packaging function at Caliva as well as supporting all packaging project work.
Caliva is your friendly and trusted cannabis brand. We believe in wellness options that work for your lifestyle; in boosting your spirits and seeking adventure; in motivating the mind, steadying the body and being inspired to create. A true seed to sale company; we cultivate happy plants and happy people and strive to provide California with dependable cannabis options. As one of the largest cannabis companies in the state of California, we pride ourselves in our compliance, professionalism, commitment to quality, and positive atmosphere. We stand by our promise of consistency, transparency, and accessibility as Caliva’s brick and mortar retail footprint continues to expand into new cities and is growing rapidly through our online pickup and delivery service.
Join the Caliva team and become part of something exciting!
Caliva has aggressive growth goals; as an essential member of the Product Innovation team, you will be expected to support and deliver alongside those demands. You will identify new business opportunities that maintain and support a robust channel of new items, product improvements, and new packaging technology initiatives. The Director of Packaging represents Caliva with third-party vendor and manufacturing partnerships ensuring agreements and deliverables meet our business and innovation needs. With an understanding of our consumers, paired with a curious and flexible mindset, you drive ideas from concept to development and bring products to market that enhance Caliva’s consumer experience. As an active member of cross-functional teams, it is vital that the Director of Packaging is a subject matter expert with strong technical knowledge of packaging technology, packaging materials, the consumer experience, and a deep understanding of the manufacturing processes.
What You’ll Do
- Ideate strategic yet innovative (IP) packaging product ideas based on business needs.
- Lead package development utilizing knowledge and skills from concept through commercilaization.
- Leverage technical rigor on new products to deliver innovation with excellence and speed through understanding of packaging technology.
- Foster creative problem solving through leveraging front-end consumer design-based tools and external inputs to develop meaningful yet compliant products.
- Develop best practices, elevate our packaging development process, and drive continuous improvement on packaging innovation and technology.
- Proactively identify, champion, and adapt new technologies, tools, or processes.
- Establish packaging innovation pillars with a focus on key supplier partnerships.
- Establish QA/QC policies for inbound and outbound packaging to ensure integrity meets key internal and external end-user needs.
- Hire and train employees by applying high standards for selection and continued performance.
- Establishes clear and stretching goals, communicates and delegates key responsibilities, and actively utilizes all performance, development and career tools, to their full potential.
- Drives positive employee relations and delivers sustainable results through being a positive role model.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by management.
What You Have
- Embrace and demonstrate alignment with Caliva Values – Integrity, Positive Energy, Connectedness, Bias in Action, and Truth Seeking.
- Bachelor's Degree in Packaging Science, Package Engineering, Chemical Engineering, MaterialScience, or a related field.
- 10+ years of previous experience in packaging development or related packaging industry,
preferably consumer products.
- Skilled at SPC analysis and designing experiments; statistical experience a plus.
- Experience with Packaging standards, test methods and best practices.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of packaging design validation standards (ISO, ASTM, etc.).
- Proficiency in navigating IP and Claims required.
- Proficient in flexible and rigid packaging, including film, carton, and corrugate; willing/able to learn new product categories and/or processing/packaging areas and respective equipment.
- Skilled in creating dyelines and pallet patterns.
- Ability to influence in order to sell ideas to teams and the greater organization.
- Demonstrated perspective and passion for the consumer needs.
- Demonstrated strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills to work in a collaborative team environment and with external partners.
- High energy, positive drive and commitment in setting and meeting aggressive goals.
- Ability to work independently and implement multiple projects in a timely manner.
- This position will work in an indoor manufacturing facility with controlled temperatures; may be exposed to bright lighting, loud equipment, airborne particles, and moving mechanical parts.
- This job is also expected to work in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers and filing cabinets.
- Work revolves around objectives, projects and priorities, not hours; must be able to work weekends, holidays, and occasional overtime as needed.
- Must be able to stand, walk, lift, sit, and bend for a majority of their work schedule.
- Must be able to travel to other office locations.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete a post offer, pre-employment background check with the San Jose Police Department.