Maker's Mark a Subsidiary of Beam Suntory inspires human connections, memorable stories and family legacies by Crafting the Spirits that Stir the World. Rooted in two centuries of family heritage, Beam Suntory has evolved into the world's third largest premium spirits company... where each employee is treated like family and trusted to be custodians of our world-class portfolio of brands steeped in legacy. With our greatest assets - our premium spirits and our people - we're driving growth through impactful marketing, innovation and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Maker's Mark Distillery, a beautiful historic landmark currently has the following positionStar Hill Farm Horticulture Specialist
open in LorettoKentucky,United States.This position will be based at the distillery which is approximately 20 miles south of Bardstown, KY.What makes this a great opportunity? Position Summary:
This role focuses primarily on the execution of garden and orchard projects and events as well as the ongoing development of the Star Hill Farm Horticulture program. This position will lead the food production areas through hands-on leadership and implementation of organic/regenerative best practices. Develop and host educational field day programs which showcase these best practices. Assisting manager with annual budgeting and leading occasional tours of the property are also include in this role. This role will support our Animal husbandry and Crop management Specialist when time allows. This position will live out the vision: "we are creating a legacy of stewardship and authentic sustainability" Role Responsibilities Position Responsibilities:
Qualifications & Experience Essential Skills and Experience:
- Assist in creating and implementing a robust and comprehensive Horticulture/Gardening Management plan that encompasses the long-range Maker's Mark and Suntory Sustainable vision.
- Protection of our heritage, our family culture, and our property; while showcasing our passion for nature.
- Assist/support implementing and maintaining conservation practices for the improvement of water quality, wildlife habitat and sustainable forestry
- Manage and track their budget as well as assist in creating each annual budget to ensure funds are earmarked for new year.
- Work with Social Media and Marketing team to Share our Nature with consumers, neighbors and corporate leaders.
- Independently lead horticulture projects from point of approval thru planning and execution with minimal guidance.
- Lead/support the Farm-to-Table implementation in partnership with the Star Hill Provisions team.
- Monitor and care for plantings. ensuring adequate water, nutrients, and pest management.
- Coordinating maintenance and upkeep of machinery, equipment & grounds.
- Offer recommendations and creative solutions to complex problems utilizing various available resources
- Encouraged to research and implement new ideas and concepts as well as proven best practices.
- Supports and adhere to the job requirements for the department with regards to Quality, Food Safety, Environmental, Health, and Safety regulations and fully support the company IMS objectives and initiatives
- Other duties as indicated
Non-Essential Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in an Environmental, Horticulture or Natural Resource Management area preferred or a minimum of 5 years' professional experience in a related field
- Proven ability to execute plans and projects thru to completion
- Demonstrated experience in working across and up, within the organization, gaining credibility amongst peers, managers and other leadership
- Experience operating and servicing farm equipment not limited to tractors, mowers, sprayers, seeders, etc.
- Experience in safe application, storage, and disposal of pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers in a farm setting.
- Detail oriented (to manage budget and manage multiple ongoing field projects)
- Strong communication skills interacting with State/Local leadership, distillery visitors, and Maker's team members
- Self-starter, flexible comfortable working in unstructured environment, and able to manage multiple priorities
- Team player with collaborative style and good listening skills
- Weekend/ Off Shift work will be required
- Project Development
- Creative idea generation
- General experience in gardening and working with livestock
- Proactive problem solver
- Attention to detail
At Beam Suntory, people are our number one priority, and we believe our people grow together in diverse and inclusive environments where their unique insights, experiences and backgrounds are valued and respected. Beam Suntory is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, military veteran status and all other characteristics, attributes or choices protected by law. All recruitment and hiring decisions are based on an applicant's skills and experience.