Built around our mission, we started Athletic Greens
more than a decade ago as a way to bring comprehensive and convenient daily nutrition to just about everybody. Originators of the Essentialist Nutrition movement, our philosophy is to focus on a very small number of products based on what the latest science indicates is essential to human health.
AG1 is made from the highest quality ingredients, in accordance with the strictest standards and obsessively improved based on the latest science. 75 vitamins, minerals, and whole-food sourced nutrients in one convenient daily serving. Optimized for athletes, life-letes, and everyone in between. Vegan, Paleo, and Keto-friendly. One scoop or travel packet, 8 ounces of water. Every day. That's it.
Our mission is to empower people to take ownership of their health.THE ROLE:
In this newly created role, Athletic Greens is seeking a practical and business minded Commercial Counsel
, who will have responsibility for a wide range of global legal matters in a fast-paced, hyper-growth environment. The ideal candidate is an organized self-starter, with the flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and organizational needs and has law firm training and experience as in-house counsel. We are looking for an attorney who has experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, understands contracting at scale and has ideas and experience creating efficiencies in the process. We seek someone who has experience in data privacy matters and can work closely with the cross-functional teams and business process owners to help develop and implement the Company's data privacy strategy, roadmap, initiatives and policies. You will report to the General Counsel, serve a variety of clients across the company, and leverage both tactical and strategic skills. WHAT YOU'LL DO:
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Review, draft, negotiate and interpret a wide variety of commercial contracts including vendor agreements (such as SaaS and other license agreements), master and professional services agreements, non-disclosure agreements, supply chain agreements and marketing and advertising contracts.
- Build a scalable legal framework for contracts, including maintenance and enhancement of standard customer contracts and implementing and enforcing Company contracting policies, processes and standards.
- Develop and leverage a contract management system to support consistent, efficient contracting processes.
- Prepare references and tools for use by clients to assist them in working independently whenever possible in relation to contracts and other matters while effectively managing risk, such as contract checklists and tools, templates, and training materials.
- Handle general governance and maintenance of the Company's corporate entities.
- Collaborate regularly with cross-functional and management teams to gain internal insights, identify and evaluate risk, support transactions, and provide clear, business-oriented legal advice.
- Lead efforts to build out an overall privacy compliance framework, including developing and maintaining global privacy programs and policies, notices and other documentation.
- Provide in-house legal advice on data privacy laws and requirements, working seamlessly and collaboratively with colleagues in other parts of the organization in the US, EU and China.
- Handle a variety of other demands and projects related to our operations that arise in a rapidly growing startup.
- Developing and implementing process improvement initiatives to improve efficiency of legal and business activities.
- Identify business and legal risks and issues and suggest practical alternatives that allow the business of the company to move forward in compliance with domestic and international laws, rules, and regulations.
- Contribute to the design and continuous improvement of standard forms, trainings, legal processes and systems to help us scale with the business and maximize efficiency and velocity.
- Draft, negotiate, and implement major partner agreements, including advertising and creative services agencies, as well as retail and vendor partners across all areas of the business.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Minimum of 5+ years of meaningful relevant experience at a large law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- J.D. from ABA accredited program.
- Active bar membership in any state.
- Experience in a high-growth, Consumer Packaged Goods company preferred.
- Significant experience negotiating, drafting, and solving issues for various types of commercial contracts, including those relating to NDAs, supply chain agreements, services agreements, vendor agreements, licensing agreements, and strategic partnership agreements.
- Solid understanding of internet and social media landscapes, regulations and industry guidelines applicable to mobile, social media, and traditional marketing (including CAN-SPAM and TCPA), and comfort in dealing with related tech and media agreements. Prior experience working with talent agencies and influencers viewed favorably.
- Knowledge of global and domestic privacy laws and regulations, including GDPR and CCPA and experience designing global privacy and data security compliance programs, policies and processes to meet legal requirements and advising on responses to data incidents or breaches.
- Demonstrated ability to build cross-functional relationships and project manage teams, including internal stakeholders and outside counsel.
- You thrive in fast-paced environments, expertly juggling multiple tasks and competing priorities. You have a record of accomplishments in a remote role or otherwise some sense of your ability to operate effectively without being in a physical headquarters.
- A desire to improve processes, rather than to shy away from such opportunities, to enable business growth at scale.
- Knowing when to say "no", "yes" or "maybe\". You are mindful that the company is your client, and you advocate for the protection of your client.
- A desire to follow broader cultural conversation across social media around key topic areas: health and wellness, sports, etc.
- Strong attention to detail and a proven ability to manage multiple work streams at once.
- Strong interpersonal, written communication, and organizational skills.
- A 100% remote working environment, which has been implemented from day one.
- An immensely strong company culture that is enforced through the hiring process ensures values alignment and a highly collaborative team.
- 90% premium coverage for top medical, dental and vision plans.
- A mission-driven approach to each and everything that we do, with an overall goal to significantly improve our customer's health and wellness.
- Paid maternity and paternity leave to allow you to spend time with your new family.
- Top of the market salary and performance incentive structure with "blue sky" upside potential.
- A monthly fitness class credit to support you on your health and fitness journey.
- Annual company-wide retreats and quarterly department-wide meet-ups (COVID permitting).
- A 401k plan with company-matching because life is an opportunity and we care about your future.
- Paid holidays and an unlimited vacation policy to ensure you have a healthy work-life balance.
- The opportunity to work with passionate, high-growth, business-minded colleagues who bring their all to the Athletic Greens mission each and every day.
- A brand new company laptop and a generous home-office budget so you can work your best.
Athletic Greens is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to inspiring fulfilling lives, starting with a focus on health and we believe this starts in the workplace. We do this by providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We strive to create a diverse & inclusive environment where all team members can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and make a difference in the world together. We do not discriminate based on age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, pregnancy, veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by law. We are an equal opportunity employer.