Hangar 24 Craft Brewing
Production and Manufacturing and SupplierView Full Profile
About The Position
Our Director of Brewing is a strong leader that lives by this mantra;
“Leadership is the professed desire and commitment to serve others by subordinating personal interests to the needs of those being led through effectively demonstrating the character, experience, humility, wisdom and discernment necessary to create the trust & influence to cause the right things, to happen for the right reasons, at the right times.”
The Director of Brewing is responsible for all aspects of the brewing, packaging, and logistics to the wholesaler process, aligns department objectives with those of the entire organization and supports/develops all employees within the Brewing Department. You are the beer expert in the Brewery. Nothing should happen without you knowing about it. The Director of Brewing manages a leadership team including a QA/QC and maintenance team. This person models a balance of the passion and fun of working in the craft beer industry with the business and leadership skills required to drive progress and get the job done right. Most importantly, they make sure that the excellent beer we produce continues to be excellent!
- Lead, manage and communicate priorities with the production / brewing manager, supply chain manager, and warehouse manager and ensure their teams are optimized and efficient.
- Formulate production, operations and logistic strategies.
- Act like an owner and run the brewery as such, ensuring we are meeting the highest standards and running at peak performance.
- Advise the CEO on key decisions.
- Brew the right amount of quality beer.
- Participation as an active member of Hangar 24’s senior leadership team.
- Confer and consult with other department heads.
- Represent company at trade associations, guild meetings and speaking engagements to promote company and products.
- Oversee all brewery operations including production, packaging, maintenance, logistics and quality control.
- Develop, implement and evaluate improvement initiatives designed to facilitate greater production efficiencies and quality.
- Direct, coordinate and manage short and long term production planning in accordance with sales forecasts and demands.
- Research industry trends to continuously enhance the brewery, product offerings and operational standards.
- Collaborate with the brewery leadership team on the development of brewery policies, procedures and protocols.
- Ensure policies, procedures and protocols are upheld and exceeding expectations through audits and inspections to deliver quality, sanitation and safety standards in all areas.
- Assess equipment improvement projects and purchases to maximize benefit from capital investments.
- Provides review and oversight of Quality Assurance / Quality Control techniques and procedures to continuously improve the quality and consistency of our products.
- Collaborate on new beer development, including recipe creation, evaluation of new ingredients and styles.
- Responsible for all inventory within the company covering grain to landing on the back dock of distributor warehouses.
- Lead a team of department managers, including production / brewing manager, supply chain manager and warehouse manager along with their staff.
- Monitor staffing, expenses and resource management to fulfill requirements.
- Plan and direct staffing, training, and performance evaluations.
- Communicate regularly with the entire brewery staff to keep them apprised of company and brewery objectives and performance levels.
- Assume a teaching role in staff development, program creation / implementation and evaluation.
- Comply with local, county, state, and federal government requirements.
- Ensure a safe working environment for employees by maintaining facility equipment in optimal working condition.
- Use financial statements, sales reports and other data to measure production performance and determine areas for cost reduction and improvement.
- Establish key metrics and develop plans to provide accurate lean accounting and inventory controls to drive cost effective actions.
- Prepare budgets and approve budget expenditures.
Education / Experience / Skills
- BA/BS in a natural science, business, engineering or related field.
- Formal brewing education or equivalent hands-on experience in the trade that can be used in place of formal education.
- A minimum of 10+ years of progressive experience within a brewery environment.
- Working knowledge and passion for the craft beer industry.
- Leadership skills with a proven ability to lead and motivate team members.
- Decision-making and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage a complex, fast-paced environment through multi-tasking and prioritizing to easily adapt to changing situations.
- Professional and proficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in business, analytics and organizational tools. Ex – Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Acute sensory perception to distinguish subtle differences in color, taste and smell.
- Proficient in MRP / ERP software.
Working Conditions / Environment
- Brewery & warehouse environment with manufacturing hazards, such as hoses and chemicals.
- No Air Conditioning / Heating in office, so it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
- Persistent hum in the Director of Brewing office caused by production equipment.
- Surrounded by beer and like-minded beer nerds.
- Travel once per month to off-site brewery in San Jose, CA and up to twice per year for various trade conferences.
This position requires the following pre-employment testing:
Criminal Background Check
Professional Reference Check
Professional Reference Check
Hangar 24 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex (gender), national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and public assistance. In addition to federal law requirements, Hangar 24 complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Hangar 24 expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment.
- Reports To CEO